Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude model U “update”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    2fast4me
    Participant

1928 Evinrude Model “U”
      This is what has been done since last time.

Ok so I’ve been soaking the stuck cylinders in magic juice for months now and finally decided to put the grease gun to work and it moved the pistons enough to separate the case top from the bottom, that’s the good part. I was able to loosen the rod caps and separate both cylinders and rods. Upon further examination I find the evidence of a previous repair. The lower rod went through the case at some point and a new rod was installed and the hole in the case was welded up, the broken rod must have also damaged the port cylinder base as the cylinder base has some welding done to it also. I could see a slight crack in the upper case half above the previous weld. When viewed from the inside of the case it is a big crack. Not sure how much more welding can be done here.

This old girl might become a parts motor.

I think I’ll reassemble everything and document the cause of death. Then search for a parts motor. I’d kinda like to see this one run again.
      Any thoughts or opinions? I’ll try and add some pictures soon.
      Jim

2Fast4Me

george-emmanuel
      Participant

US Member

Don’t give up on that motor! There are parts out there and maybe I can help. ’28 Speeditwins are not that common but share a lot of parts with the ’29’s.

George

2fast4me
        Participant

Thanks for the reply George, I’m not going to give up on this one. It came to me as a complete motor so it’s worthy of completion. But I think for now I’ll put it back together so I don’t loose any of the important pieces.
          I think what happened, just speculating, I think they blew it up years ago and did some repairs with the new rod and case welding but couldn’t get it to run right because of the other case leak and put it in a corner somewhere. I love this vintage motor! Jim

2Fast4Me

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.