Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude OEM Paint

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    rvdriver
    Participant

I am building a 14 foot wooden speed boat with a 1958 Evinrude 35 hp Big Twin. I want to cleanup the motor with some fresh paint. It has 3 colors….2 blues and a cream white color.

Where do I confirm the colors and buy the "spray" paint.

I just joined the forum and this is my first post. Thanks,

RVdriver

lindy46
      Participant

US Member

I just bought paint for a 1958 Lightwin – same colors. They are: Commodore Blue, Polychromatic Blue (1955-1958) and Aqua White. There were 3 different Polychromatic Blue’s over the years so be sure to order the correct year. I got mine from Effenaco – they supply Reprotint paints. Very good paint. Here’s a link:
        http://www.effenaco.com/store/index.php

rvdriver
        Participant

Thanks!

rvdriver
          Participant

How much paint did you anticipate needing to paint the engine?

david-bartlett
            Participant

Welcome!

That is a great vintage motor. One of my favorite years and color schemes.

You can also get paint here as well. http://www.nymarine.ca/

Keep posting and bring pictures.

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Reprotint and Nymarine are both excellent choices. You might consider one is in Canada and the other is in US. Both are great countries too!!

chris-p
                Participant

I use NyMarine Paint as well. Been very happy with it.

Cannot speak for the Effanaco, as he wont sell it to us Canadians, so have not been able to try it. Too bad, I have a 60s Gale Im painting and wanted to try his Gale Orange.

To do a Big Twin with spray bombs, it will somewhat depend on your experience. My first few motors I definitely used more than I would now. Mainly from having to repaint the cowl a couple times, messing up the 3 tone or 2 tone lines.

In general, you will need about 3 cans of self etching primer. 3 cans of dark blue, 1 can of light blue, and 1 can of white. Maybe 2 if you are doing the prop as well.

That is a fairly tight estimate. If you are shipping it, you may want to add to that a bit.

Hope this helps.

lindy46
                  Participant

US Member
                    quote rvdriver:

How much paint did you anticipate needing to paint the engine?

I bought 1 can each for my Lightwin and have plenty left over. For a Bigtwin, I’d get 2 cans of the Commodore Blue, and 1 can each of the other two.

chris-p
                    Participant

Bigtwin is MUCH bigger than a Lightwin. 2 cans wont get 3 coats on a Big Twin. You will run out. And that sucks when that happens trust me!

At least 3 coats leaves the best finish. A light mist coat first, then a normal coat, finished with wet coat.

Especially when you have it all apart, paint each piece, assemble then final coat. If you are having paint shipped , I would say get 4 cans really to make sure you have enough and don’t run out. You will use it down the road for touch ups anyways. WHen you have to ship a single can it makes it expensive.

joecb
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Barry at Reprotint is a club member and offers high quality paint. He has been out to Constantine for several of the past years conducting refinishing seminars… a helpful guy. http://www.reprotint.com

Joe B

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.