Evinrude Ranger 4265

Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Ranger 4265

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• shelbykitcar

Replies: 3
    Topics: 1

Hello-

I’ve recently gotten an Evinrude-Elto Ranger to work, runs like a champ. Once it gets hot, the mixture is running quite lean, a huge plus, and certainly unexpected. Great power in this little motor, despite the lower horsepower. I’m loving the simplicity of design, and yet great fun to be had with it. Can’t wait to get it out on the lake.

No matter, I have noticed that the motor is leaking fuel while running. The tank is not leaking, but it is somewhere I think out of a seal. I have ruled out the carburetor, but are there other places, that with age, would be more prone to leakage? Should I just accept that this motor leaks fuel and be happy that it runs well? I don’t want to risk ruining something with the cylinder or piston while eliminating a small leak.

The Boat House

Replies: 4550
    Topics: 111

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by The Boat House.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by The Boat House.

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

Quite similar the the Elto Pal. It differs in the carburetor. fuel tank and having motor covers …

. . . . . . 😀

shelbykitcar

Yes I’ve had the covers off, actually had the whole fuel line apart to clean out already.

Hmm, I will check the connections between the tank and carb again. I saw the compression fittings there, and I tightened not too much, but not too little either. Seems to not be, but with all the vibrations in the tank, possibly.

Any recommendation for the sealant? I did not add any sealant to the connection, just tightened down on the compression fittings.

shelbykitcar

Oh, and I have the service, owners, and parts list just like above. I ended up buying the service and parts, the owners came from my father-in-law with the engine.

shelbykitcar

Well, not sure why it’s still leaking. I’m going to have to dive further. I tightened everything there, checked it, and not sure again. It’s not leaking out of the fuel system. It looks more like it’s leaking directly above the drive shaft. But I could be wrong. Lots of gas/oil mix all over the place. Maybe it’s just leaking out of the carb gasket when it’s running with the pressure made there.

No matter, I took it to the lake today. Great little motor. Ran it hard for an hour, two people in an aluminum row boat. Grossly underpowered, but extremely fun to run. Great to see the look of other guys on the dock pulling that out. They thought I was nuts, but I enjoyed it. Ran out of gas in the middle of the lake, but a quick refill from the tank on-board the boat and back running. I was immensely impressed with it’s ability to run hard, and running super-lean. I was quite impressed how towards the lean end it was running!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.