Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Serial Number

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sportwin4353
    Participant

Hello,

I am looking for a resource that would allow me to use an Evinrude serial number for figure out the model number. I have seen a few sites that have listed serial numbers for others brands, but not Evinrude. I have an old crate with a model number and serial number stamped on the side. I can make out the serial number, but not the complete model number. Thank you for your help.

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I guess you know the first part of the serial number (before the ” – “) is the model number. Beyond that, old Evinrudes started over with the serial number almost every year. But in a few cases, where the same model was made for a few years the serial could break it down to a particular year. Peter Hunn’s “The Old Outboard Book” is the best source that I know of for that info.

Mumbles
        Participant

What numbers do you have? Someone here might be able to figure it out.

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

There is no way to tell by just the serial number. A picture of the crate with dimensions would help. Style of print changed with age. The size of the crate would be a clue as to horse power range. From about 1927 to about 1932 the model numbers were three digits. from then to the early ’50s four digits were used. Before about 1932 model numbers started with 0001. After that they started with 00001, so length of the number sequence is a clue as to age.

Garry in Michigan

Sportwin4353
            Participant

Thank you for the responses so far. The crate appears to be from the 40’s and it does say Evinrude Sportwin on the side. The first two number of the model number are 43 which is for a Sportwin. I am fairly sure the serial number 02897. I can post pictures tomorrow. The chance of me finding the exact motor are slim to none, but to get the correct year would be nice.

Mumbles
              Participant

What you might have is a case for a ’39 – ’47 Sportwin as the model numbers for those years started with 43. As for the serial number, I have no information on them.

The original motor would have looked similar to the one in this photo Garry had posted earlier.

Sportwin-2

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Mumbles.
                • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Mumbles.
                Sportwin4353
                Participant

Sorry it took me a few days to get photos posted. This is my crate and the motor I picked up to display inside. My motor is a 1940 Sportwin 4353. Let me know if you can make out the model number on the crate, I would love to find the correct year and model to display inside. Or even better the exact motor that came in this crate. Thanks again.

image-1

image-2

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Mumbles.
                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.