Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Sportwin “N”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    david-bartlett
    Participant

I am looking for info regarding this Evinrude Sportwin. No tag so not sure of year.

What is the button on the tiller for?

Thank you!

Attachments:

lyks2tinkr
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Trigger for the reversing mechanism is my guess.
        I’m sure someone will be along soon with their 2 cents.

Tom
        Participant

US Member

Dave, Holy crap, that’s a nice tank! If you can, please take straight on shots of the decals and send them to me.

The motor is from 1923, the first year for the Sport Twin. From the photos, it appears the lower unit has been painted to look like brass. If so, an aluminum prop is correct, and just the paint is wrong. I can’t tell from the photo, but the prop may be a replacement. In 1923, the tanks were all square and brass, so the tank has been replaced at some point, not uncommon because the brass tanks were a bit fragile. The brass tanks had the ID plate on them, which is why you don’t have a serial number available. The shape of the water tubes and the petcock, transom bracket and thumb screws, muffler, carburetor, and flywheel are all correct for that year motor. Only the cylinders were painted on that year motor, and they should be light gray.

The Sport Twin is reversible. It’s designed to work when the motor is running, but here’s what it should do to check it: Push in the button and raise the tiller up about 30 degrees or so. This should drop the lower unit about an inch. If this works, turn the lower unit around clockwise (as you look from the top) and it should lock into reverse at 180 degrees. Then press the button and lower the tiller back to the original position. Turn the lower unit around another 180 degrees and it should lock back into forward.

Should you decide to get it running, please stay in touch with me.

Any chance you’ll be at Mystic this weekend?

Tom Manley
          Mansfield, MA
          manleyt at verizon dot net
          508 three three nine 3546

david-bartlett
          Participant

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful. I will get you some pictures of the decals later today or this evening. I thought maybe the tank had been replaced.

As for the operation of the "reverse", it seems to work as you mentioned, so it is probably intact.

I do plan on making it run, so will keep you posted as how that proceeds.

Not going to Mystic. Gotta work!

Thanks, David

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member

Parts?
              https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/ … 08830.html

Prepare to be boarded!

david-bartlett
              Participant

Some progress with this one. Checked the coil and I have spark. Looked in the tank finally and can almost see my reflection.

Have the carb soaking for a bit.

Attachments:

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

I don’t have anything that early . . . 🙁

david-bartlett
                  Participant

I ran this motor today for the first time. Started right up once I turned the gas shut-off valve the right way! I didn’t notice I had it in "reverse" until watching the video. Now I know why it wanted to climb out of the barrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duaz8rmaVVc

bobw
                    Participant

US Member

Very nice – another one brought back to life!

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                      1954 Johnson CD-11
                      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                      1958 Johnson QD-19
                      1958 Johnson FD-12
                      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.