Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude vs Johnson

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    seakaye12
    Participant

US Member

Well…..I was eleven years old in 1960. I loved outboards and there would have been no doubt whatsoever which one I would have wanted.

Which one? I’m not sayin’….

The styling and color schemes were radically different.

PugetSoundBoater
      Participant
        quote SydinNJ:

My thought was they wanted to field test the fuel pump on the brands motor, if it failed it would not hurt the reputation of the Evinrude or Johnson

General Motors has done this also. The first modern day car to have front wheel drive was the Oldsmobile Toronado in 1966. A few years later front wheel drive showed up on the Cadillac Eldorado, it’s close cousin.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
        Robbie Robertson

reivertom
        Participant

I can remember as a kid in the 1960s, the first time my buddy told me that they were the same motor………It blew my young mind for a while, but I decided I liked Johnsons better even if they were the same, and still do. I just seemed to like their coverings and paint better. It is just like Chevy trucks vs. GMC….I always tend to like the GMC package better even though it doesn’t really matter.

wiscoboater
          Participant

I’m with you on the GMC’s. For some reason they always looked tougher…

Mumbles
            Participant

I always thought GMC was a luxury Chevy truck. Something like the Cougar being a luxury Mustang.

steeleman
              Participant

Definitely a lot of interesting takes. To me it feels like a Chevy/GMC thing. Evinrude being designed to look a little nicer, while Johnson has always had simpler lines and was more utilitarian. Or at least they always feel more utilitarian to me. Like something that was just designed to get the job done.

PugetSoundBoater
                Participant
                  quote Mumbles:

I always thought GMC was a luxury Chevy truck. Something like the Cougar being a luxury Mustang.

When Chev and GMC S-10/ 15 trucks first came out, there was a Seattle Buick /GMC dealer owner that i knew. I asked him the difference between a Chevy S-10and a GMC S-15. His response "the S-15 is 5% better" Today i thought of his quick answer my question, shouldn’t it have been 50% better.
                  Guess he wasn’t the company accountant 😀

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                  Robbie Robertson

bullie
                  Participant
                    quote pugetsoundboater:

quote Mumbles:

When Chev and GMC S-10/ 15 trucks first came out, there was a Seattle Buick /GMC dealer owner that i knew. I asked him the difference between a Chevy S-10and a GMC S-15. His response “the S-15 is 5% better” Today i thought of his quick answer my question, shouldn’t it have been 50% better.
                    Guess he wasn’t the company accountant 😀

No, PSB, actually the dealer was correct. He was comparing the Chevy/GMC to a Ford Truck. The Chevy was/is 10% as good a truck. The GMC is only slightly better. Luckily they weren’t compared to a Toyota back then or they would have been called a Chevy S .010. True story.

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

There was always a lot of competition between the two brands. Style and advertising helped. In the beginning it was Bess Evinrude who stressed the rounded edges and smooth looks. The aircraft industry also was an influence. Raymond Loewy was consulted on the design of the 1948 Sportwin – Irgie’s fishing outboard of the future. Johnson went with a rugged mechanical look. After the merger of 1929 "Irgie" Irgins went with the idea of making Evinrude the Rolls Royce of outboards. His complicated devices were meant the make the motors easier to operate. He rented space on the University of Pennsylvania’s computer to design the complicated fuel induction system on the ’48 Sportwin – The first example of CAD in the outboard industry. These innovations also made them more expensive to build. Irgie’s Zephyr outsold Johnson’s TD, but Johnson made more money because there twins were cheaper to build. When dad was in engineering he tried to make the engines fast, dependable and easy to service. Conflicts with with Irgy influenced him to go into sales. Jim Webb was delighted. Dad’s animosity toward Harry Johnson made him determined that Evinrude would outsell Johnson. While stressing that Evinrude was a cut above the ordinary outboard he also stressed service. Every Evinrude dealer he put in was committed to a package of tools and parts. This ensured that no matter where you went you could always get a misbehaving Evinrude fixed. When Johnson was brought into the fold, the advantage of volume production made it senseble to share parts. The old-timers objected, but the bean counters won out. Eventually the motors were the same except for cover and color. Like models were priced the same, and differed only by the cost of shipping. . . 😀

PugetSoundBoater
                      Participant

Garry, a very Interesting story.You know these things first hand,that’s what’s cool!

Robbie Robertson

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 36 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.