Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude year and model

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    mkieffer
    Participant

Recently acquired an evinrude motor and was looking for Any info about it.year,model,manual?the only number on it is N 6183 .thank you in advance for your help!

12F0456E-5DCC-4A37-B1BA-690B89C75773

Tom
      Participant

US Member

Your motor is likely a late 1923 or early 1924 Model N Sport Twin. It has the later shift mechanism. Many of the early parts appear intact on your motor. The carburetors for the ’23 and ’24 models are unique to those years, and are not easy to find in good shape.

T

1 user thanked author for this post.
        mkieffer
        Participant

Thanks Tom.I thought the same because 1924 is the last patent date on the serial number tag.Do you know the hp?Also, do you think the carb is made of aluminum? I have the original carb, but it is broke near the mounting collar.If it is aluminum,I can repair it.as long we’re talking evinrude, do you have any contacts on 48-52 3.3 hp coils?is anyone making reproductions?I’ve gone through several oem coils,but have been told the Bakelite or whatever material they’re made of supposedly have a shelf life,and that’s why they crack.Thanks again for your time.

Tom
          Participant

US Member

The motor was 2 hp in ’24. Photos of the ’23 and the ’24 carbs are attached. I believe there is a ’24 available from Doug Penn on ebay right now. For the coils, try Ken Hall in CT.

Tom

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Tom.
            Tom
            Participant

US Member

OK, I give up, here’s the ’23 carb.

N-Carb-1923

T

David Bartlett
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nice motor! I have one also. The reversing mechanism is pretty cool.

David Bartlett
                Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

JOHN HOLBIK
                Participant

A bit of a shock on the serial number .I am located in Ontario Canada I have my dads Sportwin N that he bought used in 1930 in Racine Wis it is serial number NX 6218 thats only 35 away from yours .they could have been made on the same day.The X in my serial number was added by Evinrude when the motor was rebuild at the factory in Milwaukee in early 1930.

This question is for Tom the N guru.Which of the N carb types are the best?
                  Thanks John

Tom
                  Participant

US Member

There were two other carbs used. The one on the ’25 / ’26 models is pretty common and works well. The other one, used in ’27 and up is the Tillotson MS series. The early versions had problems with the alloy used, but the later ones work pretty well.

JOHN HOLBIK
                    Participant

Thanks Tom is there any chance you could post a picture of the carbs.I think mine was replaced by Evinrude when it was rebuilt in 1930 as it looks different then the two you showed.
                      About 10 years ago I bought what was supposed to be a 1926 N on ebay from a seller in Wisconsion It had the early carb with the holes.He assured me it would be well packed I sent him an extra 30.00 to ensure it would be well packed.He stuck it in a card board box with nothing else.When I picked it up in Grand Portage Mn the carb was broken off.
                      John

JOHN HOLBIK
                      Participant

One other point of intrest my N is a fresh water model but when it was rebuilt they put on a brass tank it has serial number plate on the tank 1963 so I guess the the tank came from the 463rd one made as they started at 1500.
                        John

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.