Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Zephyr question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    labrador-guy
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am working on a gear foot from a 4362 Evinrude Zephyr. Clean up reveled a gasket of some sort between a brass cone shaped thing and the inside of the propeller. Is this something that is suppose to be in there? This prop protection mechanism is all new to me. It has a big spring under the prop nut to put pressure on the cone and it also has a brass shear-pin.

dale

IMG_0011-001

• This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by labrador-guy.
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by labrador-guy.
      The Boat House
      Participant

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Here’s what I have. Not very clear

Zephyr-prop

Mumbles
          Participant

This old photo shows just the spring and nut without a washer. Not sure if that is correct though.

Zephyr-Prop-Nut-2

If the cone clutch was slipping, then I could see a washer being used to increase the friction between the cone and the prop. After cleaning them, I like to put a light coat of grease on them to help prevent them from corroding tightly together. If you hit something hard with the prop and the parts don’t release, you’ll have to take it all apart to replace the shear pin.

labrador-guy
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mumbles, mine is like yours no washer. I think I will put it back together minus the gasket and put a light coat of marine grease on the cone, the nut and spring. Mine has an aluminum nut and the flats are all worn off so channel locks are in order for adjusting the spring pressure!

thanks dale

The Boat House
              Participant

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

Yes – it is a cone clutch.

Mumbles
                  Participant

Good eye Tubs! Yes, I did make that nut. Two of them actually as the first one had a crack in it I thought might have happened while threading it but it was the piece of stock I was using. It had a manufacturing crack running down the length of it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.