Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Zephyrs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    shoestringmariner
    Participant

Hey, what do you guys think about the Evinrude Zephyrs? Are they rare? Parts plentiful?
      4 cylinders sounds pretty unique and smooth, but that is a lot of parts to replace?
      whats a non-runner (5.4hp) worth in good cosmetic shape?

phil-b
      Participant

Here’s what one member thinks of them!
        http://www.oddjobmotors.com/ihatezephyrs.htm

I’ve never touched one, but I can’t help thinking someone was drunk on over engineering when they came up with the idea!

shoestringmariner
        Participant

WOW…..RIGHT!! Stick to focusing on my TN instead of filling the shed…funny story though 🙂

Mumbles
          Participant

Heck, there’s nothing wrong with Zephyrs! There not complicated, just a bit different than your regular outboard motor. If the points are clean and gapped properly, they can be a pleasure to run.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

One of my favorite motors – About 75,000 were sold, making used parts easy to pick up. The ’47 was my baby, went through it extensively for "J" class racing. When that class was discontinued, it sill made a good fishing motor. We also used it as an auxiliary on our Wolverine Snipe Sail boat. It would plane that boat easily with two aboard.

My sister’s former husband still has the ’49 model that replaced it.

. . . . . . 😀

mr-asa
              Participant

I’d take one, might be a bit more complicated, but I can appreciate engineering

kevinf
                Participant

I’ve got 3 of them and enough parts to build another if I get bored. They’re certainly interesting and a lot simpler than you’d think.Like all the other antiques the parts are out there as long as you aren’t in a hurry. As for worth – that’s always hard to answer.

outboard315
                  Participant

I know where there is one in a junk yard near me, 4044 maybe. If any needs one.

mr-asa
                    Participant

quote Outboard315:

I know where there is one in a junk yard near me, 4044 maybe. If any needs one.

I won’t say I need it, but if you get a hankering to rescue it for no real reason, I’ll take it.
                      I’m cheap, though 😆

frankr
                      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I never had any love for them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.