Home Forum Ask A Member Exciting New Motors & A Good Reason To Be An AOMCI Member

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    wbeaton
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Yesterday I answered an online ad for a reasonably priced 1929 Evinrude Speeditwin. Motor is in decent condition minus the carb. Fortunately, I have a spare Vacturi 500 that I can use if finding the original carb parts proves to be too elusive. Beside the Speeditwin on the rack was a 1930 Lockwood Silent Ace. The Lockwood was in slightly better condition. As luck would have it the Ace was also for sale. A deal was struck and these two uncommon beauties found their way into my truck.

I didn’t really need the Ace and I knew my good friend wanted one in the worst way so I sent him a photo and a price. Now that was just a formality. I knew he would buy the Ace at twice the asking price before I even made the deal. We split the cost of the motors down the middle and we both walked away happy. I mention this just to show another reason why it pays to be a member of the AOMCI. The network of fellow collectors helping each other and passing along good deals is something you don’t get on your own.

0F290373-73A9-4C3E-B0C7-9D3197AA0EF0

333A6B3E-8CCB-43C3-98DF-8655DBF1EDBC

6B6C5C0F-3CF4-4E8D-A148-43C0D352F0CD

4F460311-A178-4F61-A98F-91443C9BC2FE

Wayne
      Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Nice Score! Hope we get to hear it running soon!

Prepare to be boarded!

The Boat House
        Participant

chris-p
          Participant

Wow that’s great!

wbeaton
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Oh yes, and a big thank you to chris-p for sending me the lead. None of it would have happened without him!

Wayne
              Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

eltoquad
              Participant

US Member

IMHO You should have kept the Ace! That one is a very hard motor to find and a much better running one than those early Speeditwins. I’ve had both.

wbeaton
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

He needed the Ace more than I did. I have a Silent Chief that suits my boat better. Besides, that’s his boat on top of my truck so you know I’m going to get to use it once he finishes the restoration!

Wayne
                  Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

george-emmanuel
                  Participant

US Member

Are you sure you need another carb? It looks like the only issue is the float top and those are available as reproductions. Uually the carb body is destroyed. Yours looks pretty good!

George

wbeaton
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The carb body seems fine. It’s missing a few things is all. The carb top, the big cast intake and the linkage for the Bowden cable. I’d rather it be as original. The carb intake is one of my favourite parts.

Wayne
                      Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.