Exhaust Cover Bolts

Home Forum Ask A Member Exhaust Cover Bolts

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)

• chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

Need some input.

Whenever I restore a motor, I toss the usually corroded, rusty exhaust cover bolts. I had found some nice 1/4-20 x 1" phillister head bolts, same as originals, at one time, but ran out.

Im wondering, if an allen head bolt, like this, would work better. Especially for the guy down the line 50 years from me trying to pull them out when they are stuck!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel … S_zZiwGTkg

david-bartlett

Replies: 1204
    Topics: 97

Chris,

On this side of the border, McMaster-Carr has all that stuff. You guys on the other side are not as lucky.

I personally would not want the Allen screws due to the issue of using the wrong size wrench and wallowing out the hole.

chris-p

yeah, don’t rub it in! lol

Ive asked Mcmaster to ship to me a few times, they don’t want anything to do with us Canadians. I guess I could get them shipped to my US address mail box at the border, but that adds a day trip across for some bolts.

I don’t think they could possibly get more damaged than the slotted screws do trying to get those out after they are seized 🙂 Im not an Engineer, but I just don’t think a slotted screw is the best option here. I guess ideally, a socket style bolt would be ideal. I tried hex heads, but you cannot fit the socket in most of the spots. I guess ill be gone before the next guy is fiddling with it, but would like to try to help him out anyways, whomever he is.

david-bartlett

Replies: 1204
    Topics: 97

Torx head would be better than Allen but $$$

chris-p

Not terrible, can get 25 for under 10 bucks. They look great. Thanks

http://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/To … 200000.htm

dan-in-tn

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 961
    Topics: 78

Chris; I’m not a fan of allen or torx, but not because of the wrench used. I don’t like the button head. Too shallow for a good wrench fit and 18-8 is too soft for wrenching on. If 1/4 X 20" threads is what you need OMC made a 5/16" headed bolt (8 mm) that usually works real well in those applications. I have saved almost every bolt from all my years with OMC and have many of these. If you would like some free samples I would be happy to send some.I am sure I can find the part number somewhere, but BRP won’t be the best place to buy them $$! Just send me your US address in a PM. I can send some varying lengths.

Dan in TN

#328694 is one of the numbers $7.89 retail from ME/BRP – Ebay $3.00 on quick check at a dealer for new ones.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

My experience (Salt Water) is if the Fillister Head screws are going to come out, they will come out with a hand impact driver (and heat if necessary). If they refuse to come out and you break them off, well they would have broken no matter what you were turning them with. So the driver style really isn’t the issue.

Now about that stainless steel: Again in my salt water experience, the aluminum around the stainless screw threads will corrode worse than it does with steel (more dis-similar). And when you do break them off, they are harder to drill out. Not only harder, but they work harden, making it even more difficult to drill.

So…if I happen to be the guy removing them 50 years from now, please just put steel screws in it, and Fillister is fine with me. Yeah, right. As if I’ll still be around 50 years from now!

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Yeah, I’m with Frank. The SS hardware can be a double edge sword due to increased corrosion between the SS and aluminum. But, many of those original slotted fasteners are useless, even if not corroded in place. Those fasteners shown in your ebay link have fairly shallow heads, and would probably strip out pretty quickly if the fasteners offered any sort of resistance during future removal.
    OMC has made several types of fasteners that would be better suited for those exhaust covers, take Dan up on his generous offer!

chris-p

That is all very good information, thank you to all. Learned a lot today!

Also thanks to the many guys that offered help, both on here and through PM. I don’t want to dig into your stashes though.

Im going to order the 1/4-20 Phillister from Mcmaster, get them shipped to the border, then take the wife over for pizza and wings one night! Double win for me. I love the pizza and wings in Buffalo.

Again, thanks all.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

just curious but could the standard white or yellow plumbing teflon tape make bolt removal simpler in the long run,as well as reducing metal to metal corrosion ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.