Home Forum Ask A Member Fleetwin Exhaust Plate

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    drifter
    Participant

I have a couple of questions about my 1954 Fleetwin (7.5hp) exhaust plate and gaskets.
      I plan on using 2 gaskets (202580) – even though only one called for, I’m told one on each side of the plate is better. I’m also planning on using a sealer.
      I have 2 gaskets on order but it appears they are getting harder to come by hence my first question: is it foolish to make one? Mine measure .030" and the material is fairly brittle. I have a lot of gasket material (.030") but it is a non-paper dark gray waterproof fairly pliable (easy to cut) material. I’m concerned the hot exhaust may affect the material.
      My second question deals with the plate (203020). I have done enough of these old OMCs to know that the plate is always suspect of leaking so I typically replace them. These plates appear to be getting hard to find. I am considering just making them for my engines from a similar plate material. Is there a source for these plates or should I break out the cutting tools and make them?
      Thanks for the help,
      Drifter

chris-p
      Participant

For the gasket depends on the temp range of the material. Should say on your package. I make them all the time. Beware, the originals contain asbestos. Use precautions when removing.

If you are capable of sheet metal work, the plates are not that difficult to make. I had considered it, but figured would not be worth the time it would take for the money you would get. But for yourself, have at it!

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I think HIGH TRIM (AOMCI) made them… I purchased one years ago for a 7.5 perfect fit stainless steel plate

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

wedgie
          Participant

High Trim is Chris P !

1946 Zephyr was who I got one from. Don’t know if he still has them though.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

nicknames nicked…names… 😯

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

chris-p
              Participant

Sorry go by many names!

Correct, Zephyr was the one selling them. Not sure if he still is or not?

drifter
                Participant

I went ahead and made a plate from .025" stainless. I had a single gasket in my stash. But, no 3M47 – must have used it up or "lost" it. Did have an old bottle of Permatex Indian Head Gasket Shellac Compound so thought I’d give it a try. Coated both sides of all surfaces and let it dry then assembled. Let it sit overnight then ran the motor today. Results were excellent – motor ran great. Temp on exhaust cover was around 95 to 100 with the hottest point at the bottom rear of the cover at around 135. No leaks.
                  Now I have two more questions. Always more questions…..1) Have any of you used the Permatex Indian Head Shellac Compound? Results?
                  2) Permatex also makes a "high heat" gasket spray called "Copper Spray-a-Gasket". The write up and video are very good. Has anyone ever used this product? Results?
                  Thanks again for all of the help. Sure makes this hobby enjoyable.

PugetSoundBoater
                  Participant

I have used the Indian Head a few times. I had a head gasket. On my 9.9 that leaked water very slightly on the right side. I used the Indian head after resurfacing the head a 2nd time , just on the perimeter of the outside mating surface of the water jacket area of the head along with a new head gasket. I know you are not supposed to use gasket sealer on head gaskets but I used very little and it cured the leak. I have used it on t stat gaskets once or twice also.
                    After being advised here to use BRP Gasket sealer, I use that now as my main sealant.
                    As for the copper based sealant, I wouldn’t use that as the copper will react with the aluminum , resulting in electrolysis between the dissimilar metals.
                    I do use that on car motors though. Both are very good sealants , but not for use on aluminum .
                    I hope other members will chime in with their opinions , which I would like to hear.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                    Robbie Robertson

bobw
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I concur with the recommendation to NOT use any gasket compound or anti-sieze product that contains copper due to it’s adverse reaction with aluminum in the presence of water or moisture. I have seen the Permatex Indian Head Shellac used but I prefer either BRP Gasket Seal Compound or Permatex Aviation Gasket Sealer #3 for sealing gaskets. I also use the same gasket seal compounds on cylinder head bolts, exhaust cover bolts or screws, lower unit attachment bolts and water pump fasteners to act as a thread sealer in lieu of using anti-sieze compounds. Some anti-sieze compounds also include graphite, copper or other dissimilar metals that will react with aluminum. I’m not intending to start another anti-sieze debate here – just my thoughts.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                      1954 Johnson CD-11
                      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                      1958 Johnson QD-19
                      1958 Johnson FD-12
                      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

chris-p
                      Participant

PSB,

Sorry but you definitely NEED sealer on head gaskets. Perhaps you are referring to not needing to when installing a new style gasket with the sealer already built in? Regardless, extra sealer wont hurt anything.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.