Home Forum Ask A Member expecting father of a new to me 9622a

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

OK guys this is my winter 2016 project but I am anxious

been cyl. soaking it for a good week now and the flywheel is stuck solid ..real solid forwards or backwards.

I havent bashed (coaxed) the pistons yet. walls look good no rust in sight

Motor is like new aside from comestic scratches.

probably sat for years. no bugs Inside 🙂 and I don’t suspect yet.. that it went in the drink

what scenarios am I looking at….

motor is lot more complex than QD FD styles. funny carb is side mounted. any inspection ports on this 9622a so I can squirt/inspect the rings ??

not a screw has been taken out of this baby. all bolts -screws covered in original paint.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

david-bartlett
      Participant

Crosbyman,

These are nice little motors. They have some design quirks, but nothing you can’t handle. Once you remove the carb, you get access to the port area. This is a bit different than your typical OMC twin, but nothing to lay awake worrying about.

Good diagrams on Marineengine.com site.

Enjoy your motor.

cajuncook1
        Participant

To rule out a frozen powered vs a damaged lower unit issue being the cause of a stuck motor, please remove the lower unit. If the power head turns freely after you remove the lower unit, then you have resolved your ,stuck powered issue, gained a gearcase issue.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

OK off with the gearcase …. all diagrams saved (printed)

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

well the gearcase came off. powerhead still won’t rotate either way.

motor is so clean inside I can’t believe it .

lower housing and gearcase are spotless ….no exhaust carbon or oily deposists to be seen. impeller housing spotless 😮

Aside from surface scratches on the cowling and darken plugs I would swear this engine laid dormant for 51 years !!!

Not bad for $50 if I can get it to turn 🙂 IF I fix it I will need a new motor to work on next winter 😆 😆

dave-bernard
              Participant

US Member

I had a 3hp evinrude stuck solid. it ended up being oil dried out over many years . took a lot of soaking and time. once apart it was like new inside.

weedlessdrive
                Participant

I would pour some ATF fluid in the cylinders and work it around to coat all the walls. Let it set for awhile then try to work the flywheel.

dave-bernard
                  Participant

US Member

I ended up going into the crank case to soak that is where it was stuck.

jeff-register
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes,
                      Take your time & let it soak! Even if it soaks for a few months. Start another project then come back to it. Been collecting for over 30 years & soaking for months will deliver a loose motor. Small taps on the pistons but no breaking rings, PATIENTS!

1946zephyr
                      Participant

Yea, I’m believing that it’s stuck from just sitting. Motors that sit in a damp area, will collect moisture inside and lock up. I believe once you get the piston free, you will have a nice running motor. I sold one of these on a little 12′ Crestliner a few years back.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.