Home Forum Ask A Member Exterior crankshaft seal and Bearing CD10

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Trying to separate crankcase halves to replace pistons. All screws removed but must remove exterior crankshaft seal to allow splitting two halves.Suggestions please. Tks Jim aka boaters2

frankr
      Participant

US Member

????What exterior crankshaft seal????

5.-Powerhead-Group

bobw
        Participant

US Member

No crankshaft seal to remove. Did you remove the 2 screws behind the manifold/reed plate? See enclosed pic. These have to come out to split the crankcase.

Edit – you also need to remove the 2 taper pins. See pic. They drive out from the back toward the front of the case.

Reed-Plate-Removed

Reed-Plate-Removed-1

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by bobw.
          • This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Mumbles.
          Anonymous

#10 & 11 on the schematic

Anonymous

Thanks will take a look. Likely not removed

frankr
              Participant

US Member

#11 is the breaker cam that opens the points. It just slides off. It isn’t preventing opening the case anyhow.

#10 is a slinger, pressed onto the crankshaft. No need to ever remove it. It isn’t preventing splitting the case either.

Anonymous

The 2 taper pins (I Presume) in the previous answer, which direction are they removed? Towards the carburetor or towards the spark plugs? How are they removed? Thanks once again. Feeling dumber every day. My last rebuild was a ’58 Johnson 35 HP 10 years ago, that was a piece of cake compared to this CD10.

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Toward the carburetor. Just knock them out with a hammer and punch. Your 35 had them too, if you remember.

boaters3
                    Participant

What kind of cam is # 11? It’s stationary

boaters3
                      Participant

Very difficult to get to, will keep trying. I’m not anonymous, Boaters2 , got completely deleted because I tried 2 many times to change my temp password to a new password. This process just kept going in a loop asking me over and over for my email addy. Now Boaters3

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.