Home Forum Ask A Member Fabricating Johnson A25 Muffler

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

Any tips/tricks advice when doing this? I have an A 25 missing the sheet metal muffler, so plan on simply making one. Gauge of metal, and type required would be great to know.

steveh
      Participant

US Member

This site gives instructions:

http://www.oddjobmotors.com/tt3_johnson … uffler.htm

lotec
        Participant

The Tech Tip on my site is only about how to make the inner muffler. I usually try Doug Penn when I need the outer muffler. Inless someting has changed, its one of those cases where buying one is a lot cheaper than making one!

chris-p
          Participant

That is great thanks.

The outer muffler I should be able to easily fabricate as well out of sheet metal and rivets. Was it brass?

wedgie
            Participant

The one I have is copper I think. I will have a look when I get home

bobprock4200
              Participant

US Member

Look for a section of copper downspout if you can find it. It may or may not be the right dimension, but you can always make it smaller. Anything copper right now is crazy expensive though.

chris-p
                Participant

Ok thanks. I do sheet metal fabrication, so will try some 0.50 copper sheeting and fab one up, and fab up a new inner piece as well. Will see how it goes. Probably easier than polishing and getting the dents out of an old one!

chris-p
                  Participant
                    quote Bob Prock:

Look for a section of copper downspout if you can find it. It may or may not be the right dimension, but you can always make it smaller. Anything copper right now is crazy expensive though.

No kidding!

Believe it or not, Hong Kong or China is the cheapest spot to get the flat stock that I know of, with free shipping. You can get enough to do a muffler for likely under 10 bucks. Buy a few blind copper rivets and away you go. That’s my plan anyways, Ill post some pics of how it looks when Im done.

Goman
                    Participant

Dennis Trevathan makes them and other parts for the A models. Nice stuff.
                      dtrev@comcast.net

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.