Home Forum Ask A Member Farting Evinrude

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    wiscoboater
    Participant

Hi all,
      I’m working on a 59 evinrude 18 model# 15028. I rebuilt the card last night as well as replaced all the fuel and air lines from the connector to the pump and carb. She fired up this morning but was running rough at first. Tweaked the mixtures a bit and it’s idling and reving up ok, not great. The issue it’s having right now is when idling about every 5 seconds or so it has a little fart..or miss. then idles ok for another 5 seconds or so. I ran it for awhile then checked the plugs. They were very wet. I have J4C’s in it right now because they were all I had on hand. I will be changing to J6C’s as soon as I can pick them up. The fuel connector is leaking pretty good as well. I’m waiting for the new O rings I ordered for that. I have not looked under the flywheel yet at the points or coils, but they seem to be functioning at this point. Is this farting what’s called a lean sneeze? Looking at the plugs it seemed like it was running rich, but with the colder plugs in there that might explain the wet plugs? I started out with the upper (slow speed needle) out 1 turn and lower needle (high speed) out 2 turns. Any suggestions as to how to get rid of the farting?

Steve D
      Participant

General starting points on the carb settings would be low speed at 1-1/2 out and the high speed 3/4 out. Turn in until it coughs or sneezes then back out slightly until it sounds/feels right.

beerman57
        Participant

The sneeze usually means it’s running lean. See what you get with the new Orings in the connector and reset the high and low speed needles.

wiscoboater
          Participant

Thanks guys, I just picked up the correct plugs. I’ll gap them and put them in and try the suggested adjustments. The starting point on the needles I used was what the carb kit instructions suggested. I used kit # 18-7043. Does it take a little time for the packing washers at the needles to swell up?

beerman57
            Participant

I wouldn’t worry about trying the new adjustments until you get those new Orings in the connector. If it’s letting air in and not enough fuel, then….?

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yep, the leaky orings may be your only problem, especially if there is an air leak in the pressure line connector/oring. An air leak into the pressure line will cause a crankcase leak and lean running at idle.

Steve D
                Participant

I agree with what the guys said about the leaky o-rings but 2 turns out on the high speed is usually way too much even with good o-rings…too rich.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

yep, two turns out on high speed needle definitely too rich. I’m guessing he is running it a tank and can’t really adjust the high speed very well unitl it is on a boat.

wiscoboater
                    Participant

Thanks for the tips guys. It is the air side o ring that’s leaking bad (man you guys are good). I’ll have to shelve it for a few days until my o rings and my FrankR tool shows up. It’s going on a wooden run about I’m building from scratch so I have plenty to keep me busy in the meantime. 😀

wiscoboater
                      Participant

One other thing, I just woke this motor up from a 20 some tear slumber. When I did check the plugs after running there was a lot of little carbon chunks stuck to the wet plugs. Anything to worry about? or is this to be expected given the long sleep it had?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.