Home Forum Ask A Member Fastwin Lower Unit Drive shaft seal

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rudefan29070
    Participant

Hey guys,
      The original drive shaft seal in the lower unit is MUCH thicker than the replacements that come in the kit. But there is TWO drive shaft seals in the kit. And there IS enough room in there to get both of them new seals in there. Should one install both seals or is one of those newer thinner seals sufficient?

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

One is enough, but two are better. Install the first one with lip pointing toward the oil , followed by the second one with lip pointing toward the water (lips pointing away from each other)

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

These “seal kits” are often confusing, they attempt to cover a few different models that may have some differently designed parts. The other common issue is that the gearcase may have been serviced in the past using newer updated/superceded parts that are quite the same as the original stuff described in the parts book. So, I would strongly urge caution before using parts in “seal kits” that are not quite the same as the pieces removed.
          I am pretty confident that none of the single seals found in OMC clamshell gearcases have been superceded to using double seals with the lips oriented in opposite directions. I am not saying this can’t be done, just urging caution when “re-engineering” this stuff…

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Dual-seals

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

So right, later models did use the two seal set up….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.