Home Forum Ask A Member FD-17 Fuel Pump

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    skanders01
    Participant

Well, murphy’s law strikes again. While in the process of disassembling my FD-17’s fuel pump to inspect, my butterfingers dropped the pump and murphy finished my disassembly. Now I have a whole bunch of parts (none damaged) that I have no clue how to reassemble. Have spent some time looking, but can’t find any cutaway views of the pump that are of any help in reassembly.

So, now my dilemma is what to do to get a proper working pump for my rebuild. Parts list from Marineengine.com show five updated pump models, and search found a few aftermarket alternatives as well.

Looking for recommendations….

*Keep looking for reassembly diagrams and look for a rebuild kit?
      *Dump the old pump and buy an expensive updated OEM pump?
      *Buy a less expensive aftermarket pump?
      *Buy a used pump of one of the many updated part numbers?
      *??

Not looking for an OEM restoration, just interested in getting this old girl cleaned up and running again.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Kyle Anderson
      Trempeleau, WI
      skanders@triwest.net
      920-764-0501

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

all depends on cost , rarity of parts and all

but …. if I was stuck I would see if the holes line up on the base plate …keep the base gasket parts 42 and 23 and mount a newer square pump over it

alternative cut a aluminum plate to reseal the bypass cover … or get a bypass cover with a different pump mounting structure (holes) to mount a OMC square pump over it

if you do the plate option drill a center hole in the new plate for vacum pulsing, line up with the pump base gasket and
        mount the pump 2 2 bolt holes drilled in the plate to mount the pump.

I know folks don’t always like cheapy pump but I have used them with success

omc square pump are $20 on eBay

up to you…. if pump capacity is a concern you can alwayss mount a round MiIkuni with a new pulse line connected to the bypass cover (drill and tap add a NPT… NTP ? 90 degree adapter for the hose

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by crosbyman.
        The Boat House
        Participant

The Boat House
          Participant

The Boat House
            Participant

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Tubs….the original pump is not the square pump !

frankr
                Participant

US Member

They quit making parts for the original pump over 50 years ago. Here is a diagram if you want to try to salvage it. If it were me, I’d simply bite the bullet and replace it with a Sierra 18-7351. –Or—there are some Chineesium replacements on the -bay. I’ve never used one nor taken one apart to see if they are junk.

Pg-10-Fuel-Tank-and-Pump

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

here you go …

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=18-7351&_sacat=0

$13 and up….careful with shipping fees !! some are free some not …

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

This is the pump they used in the late ’50s & early ’60s on the smaller twins – – –

skanders01
                      Participant

Thanks for the help, it was exactly what I needed! The pump is reassembled and will see if it works… all components looked good, and diaphragm was intact and pliable.

Just for the heck of it I bought a Chineesium replacement for $17 to see what a disposable pump has to offer. Will likely buy a Sierra pump (thanks for the P/N, c-man) to put in my parts stock. With three of these FD’s in the fold, I’m sure it won’t sit idly by for long.

Kyle Anderson
                        Trempeleau, WI
                        skanders@triwest.net
                        920-764-0501

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.