Home Forum Ask A Member FD rod knock

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    stanley
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That’s good information.I’ll check that also.

stanley
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well,checked again and have same amount of play at any piston position,on both cylinders.As Frank said,”seems to call for further investigation.” I’ll pull the inspection plates and exhaust plate off and look at the ring clearance.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Keep in mind that what seems like play in the connecting rod might just be side to side movement on the pistons….Pulling the intake covers might provide a more accurate assessment..

stanley
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Keep in mind that what seems like play in the connecting rod might just be side to side movement on the pistons….Pulling the intake covers might provide a more accurate assessment..

That’s a very good point.I’ve cleaned every thing up and am going to see how it does in the barrel.If it shows promise,l’ll follow advice and take off intake and exhaust covers and maybe the head and take a look.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Most failures were in the needle bearing wrist pins. Eventually all models 10 horse and higher used the roller bearings used on later model Big Twins.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, I would attempt to start the engine in a test tank/barrel. An engine with sloppy wrist pins/bushing/bearings will tick at idle…The noise will go away if the throttle is raised a bit…I’m not sure if you engine has plain wrist pin bushings or actual needle bearings. The 10hp engines with plain wrist pin bushings are known for wear issues…Your FD11 has wrist pin needle bearings, I have never heard of any issues with them….
                Let us know what you think when you run the engine, I wouldn’t pull the exhaust cover, leave the intake bypass covers in place also…
                Have you done a compression test on this engine?
                At this point, I am not convinced you have any issues with wrist pin bearings…

stanley
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for all the input.I hope to have time to run it in a barrel soon.Compression is 112 psi on both cylinders.

stanley
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I Finally had time to run it in a barrel.It started and ran fine without any alarming noises.Here is a short video of “knocking” while moving flywheel.It’s most noticeable when both pistons are at 1/2 way in cylinder.

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

Wow, I just watched the video. That is a lot of slop somewhere. Right now, I’m guessing the wrist pins are beat loose in the pistons. Only a guess, mind you.

stanley
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When time allows,I’ll tear it down and we’ll have the answer.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.