Home Forum Ask A Member Felt Wick Substitute

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

While browsing thru the Big Orange store today, I came across these self adhesive felt pads for furniture legs but I didn’t see it that way. They must have been packaged and labeled wrong as I’m sure they are meant for oiling wicks so I bought me some to try. 😀

After shaving the adhesive off with a sharp knife, they are only slightly thinner than the original OMC/BRP wicks but they are the correct length and fit well into the clip. There’s sixteen pads in this package which gave me thirty two wicks for the OMC mags and it worked out to roughly $.17 per wick. Can’t argue with that! They also absorbed a drop of oil quite readily so I think they should work OK.

I bought the one inch square ones but they also had the heavy duty felt pads in various shapes and sizes. Here’s a link to the small square ones:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/search … 0179%20030

Attachments:

seakaye12
      Participant

US Member

Oh yeah! I’m liking that!

See; that’s what we need to be doing….looking for alternative materials to take up the slack as the OEM stuff gradually slips away.

If it’s cheaper….even better yet. It is a universally shared principle of good business to search out multiple sources and better prices.

Chuck in Santa Barbara.

PS: I have been lucky enough to have attended the various seminars held at Constantine…and for a few years now they have been handing out bulk felt strip material. But that too will pass.

Mumbles
        Participant

Another possible source for the felt could be your local Sally Ann or similar store. I’m sure they have lots of old fedoras going thru their system!

joecb
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Don’t know if it will be an issue in the long term, but are these pads real wool felt? or some synthetic ( plastic) material that might melt. A sure way to tell is to put a piece to the flame test, wool will smolder, synthetic will melt.

Joe

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

and for rectifiers (non regulated ) try these 4 way bride rectifiers
              https://www.ebay.ca/itm/5PCS-50A-1000V- … SwE3ha9lL4

for 3 phase circuits
              https://www.ebay.ca/itm/AC-to-DC-Bridge … SwtNFbKz9f

$1 ….. 4 way bridge rectifiers are great for merging 2 light functions (turn ad brake) to a single bulb filament on 2 filament trailer lamps

just hook up the turn and brake signals from the car/truck on the 2 AC posts of the rectifier and wire up the + connector to the trailer brake
              wire

duplicate for the right side and left side of the trailer lights ( note that when applying the brakes the turn signal won’t blink on the trailer since the filament will be fed constant +12 from the car/truck brake lamps)

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.