Home Forum Ask A Member Finding Color Codes for OEM replacement touch up paint

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

Can anyone point me in the right direction. I need some color codes for the various years of OMC motors so I can buy some touch up paint.

Thanks

Mumbles
      Participant

What year of motors are you thinking of painting? Your dealer will have the codes and P/N’s for the 60’s and up motors but codes for the 50’s motors are non existent and kept secret by those who have figured them out. nymarine’s paint is a dead ringer for the original and it sounds like those guys in Florida have figured it out to. A good auto paint supplier should be able to custom match any sample you bring in to.

I have the dealer codes and will post them as soon as I find them.

johnyrude200
        Participant

Hi Mumbles,

Basically anything from 1960 – thru . I have been running out of some NOS stuff I have, and am now seeking replacement paints. I know sierra has some stuff, but can’t seem to locate the color codes for cross-reference. It seems like the colors were the same more or less up to ’65-66, then colors kept changing each year for johnson until the early 70’s, while evinrude had a fairly consistent metallic blue, dark blue, and navy blue.

Thanks so much….again!!!!!!

RICHARD A. WHITE
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Please remember, that the paint they put on 50 years ago, will be a pain to match……UV rays and such will fade them badly over time….

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
            classicomctools@gmail.com

dan-in-tn
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

You need an OMC/BRP Genuine Parts & Accessories Manual. I have a 2003. It has all of the paint codes and spray can part numbers. Keep in mind the PPG codes are just the color codes. The type of paint you spray is left up to you or your painter. Different people have different equipment. Quick check showed as far back as ’67 for one color. There are some engineering spec numbers for back as far as ’59, but I think that is more for looking at the spray cans to tell if you have the right color. The PPG color code is what you want if you are going to mix your own paint in the type you want to spray.

Dan in TN

PS: I found my copy of this valuable guide on Ebay for 9.99 + 3.00 shipping. BRP sells it to a dealer for $10.00. It has all of you carb kits, water pump kits, fuel hose, etc I have heard guys ask about. Individual parts also & Accessories too.

Mumbles
              Participant

Here’s what I have. Just beware that the color printed on the label may not describe very well what the actual color of the paint inside the can is. For example, I have several cans of OMC 771247 Light Blue but it actually looks more green when it is sprayed. 😕

billy-j
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I would save yourself the trouble and buy it from I think the place is called Effanco . I do not know if I spelled it exact. I bought a spray can of 1955 Johnson seahorse green from them off eBay to spray my lower unit and it matched so well I used it to touch up some flaws in the original paint and it matched the old 60 year paint very close. Bill

1946zephyr
                  Participant

Oddly enough, the Warm white new looks a lot different from the color thats on my 1959 Johnson now. It must fade to a brighter color through the years?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.