Home Forum Ask A Member Firestone Crankcase sealer

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    jeff-register
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I agree Tubs, displacement is the magic word of the day. Yamabond is my choice too!

Mumbles
      Participant

Permatex Anaerobic Flange Sealant #51531 is the only product I use now. It’d readily available at my auto supply and saves a long drive to the dealer to find they don’t have what I want. 😀

thumper
        Participant

What was the reason for opening up the case? I am following your progress as best I can since I sent the manuals

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

Thumper, Biggest reason for opening the case is I like to "tinker" and
            see what makes them tic. Also decided it would be a real easy way
            to remove the crankcase seals. I replaced the needle bearings as
            long as I was in there. Thanks again for the manuals….. they’ve been
            very valuable!
            Buccaneer

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member

Mumbles, I’ll read up on the Permatex Anaerobic Flange Sealant #51531.
              Thanks for the tip!

Prepare to be boarded!

legendre
              Participant

@Mumbles

I’ve never used that anaerobic flange sealant, I might have to give it a look. I see you’re using a prep with it, I’ll assume it’s the same as the Loctite primer – that is, it will cause the sealer to set-up whether or not the surfaces will catalyze the reaction?

What’s the consistency of the product? Thin or thick liquid? Paste? Like RTV or?

(And that’s something I need to learn more about.. apparently, some metals / platings don’t give up enough ions to catalyze the anaerobic curing process, at least in the case of Loctite.. or so I’ve been told. Can’t attest to the truth of that, yet.)

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member

The Permatex Anaerobic Flange Sealant #51531 must be good stuff.
                  $25 to $40 buck for a little tube on Ebay.

Prepare to be boarded!

Mumbles
                  Participant

The Flange Sealant is very thin and has a purple color while the Gasket Maker is red and reminds me of the old OMC Gel Seal. The Surface Prep is copper based and used to speed up the cure time. There’s enough copper in the aluminum alloy to allow the sealants to set up overnight without using the Surface Prep.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.