Home Forum Ask A Member Firestone paint scheme

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The 1950 ish Firestone 5hp I have was painted mostly black
      with the rewind silver, by a previous owner….. with a brush I think!
      I see traces of green paint on the upper part of the engine,
      but seen some traces of yellow on the lower unit.
      Browsing the Net, it looks like Firestones of that era
      were all green, with a few oddballs here and there.
      Anyone know for sure what the color scheme on my 10-A-73
      Firestone should be?
      Also, what’s a close match to the Firestone green?
      Thanks, Buccaneer

Prepare to be boarded!

wiscoboater
      Participant

I have 2 10-A-73 Firestones. One is a 51 and the other a 53. They are both unrestored originals. Both share the same metallic green paint on almost everything EXCEPT the power head. The powerheads are natural metal finishes. From the factory the metallic green was sprayed directly onto the base metal of the gas tank, side covers, leg and gear case with NO primer underneath. The one odd difference I see between the two is the prop. On the 51 the prop was natural metal. On the 53 the prop was painted the same metallic green as the leg and gear case. The prop nut differed between the two as well. The 51 prop nut is natural brass, the 53 was painted. Not sure what the base metal was on the 53 yet. It is waiting patiently in line to be restored.

Buccaneer
        Participant

Thanks WOG. Sounds like all green is the way to go then. I’m
          glad the guy with the bucket of black paint and brush didn’t
          paint my power head!

Prepare to be boarded!

wiscoboater
          Participant

I missed this on my first post. The recoil was green metallic as well. Good luck to you with your restoration. One guy that was very helpful to me was http://www.americanoutboard.com He set me up with the carb kit and has some NOS gaskets and things. This guy really knows his stuff. Another source for info is oddjob motors. He’s a member here and has a great tutorial for using the reasonable priced OMC coils in place of the very expensive originals. Both are great sources for tech info on the Firestones.

wiscoboater
            Participant

I have seen two suppliers of the correct metallic green paint. http://www.reprotint.com and nymarine.com. I myself went to my local NAPA dealer and purchased their "sea mist green". Way cheaper and no shipping costs. The finished product is so close unless you were the guy spraying it in the 50’s you would never know the difference. Pay particular attention to the gas tanks on these. I have never seen gas tanks rot from the inside out like these do. On my 53 I’m going to try the Mumbles electrolysis method, it’s really nasty inside. Wish me luck I don’t burn the garage down!

wiscoboater
              Participant

I just checked the prop nut on the 53. It’s painted black. Don’t know what’s underneath yet. Glad you started this post. It has sparked my interest in these 2 motors again. Thank you!

frankr
                Participant

Will this help?
                  http://s19.postimg.org/oj4ngtboz/1949_F … motors.jpg

wiscoboater
                  Participant

Hey Frank,
                    I know you have your finger on the pulse of everything antique as far as motors go. Do you know where I can find original or repro tiller handle grips for the 51 to 53 Firestones?

Buccaneer
                    Participant

Thanks again WOG. My coils ohm’d out okay yesterday, so I’m hopeful there.
                      I have a gallon of phosphoric acid (concrete etch) and some tank sealer,
                      and I have a feeling I’ll need it…… noticed one pin hole for sure.
                      I’ve been using Dupli-color Engine enamels on projects so far. Holds up
                      well to gas spills, etc. Only thing I seen close in the color chart is "Detroit Diesel Alpine Green"….
                      we’ll see.
                      Frank, awesome advertisement…….. I’m ordering mine on the easy terms payment plan! Thanks,
                      Buccaneer

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
                      Participant

quote wannabe outboard guy:

Hey Frank,
                        I know you have your finger on the pulse of everything antique as far as motors go. Do you know where I can find original or repro tiller handle grips for the 51 to 53 Firestones?

No.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.