Home Forum Ask A Member Fixing a stripped out shift linkage?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mr-asa
    Participant

My ’56 15HP Evinrude’s shift linkage came to me about halfway stripped out. I chased the bolt and the linkage’s threads and it sort of holds, but I’m not sure how much I want to trust it. Was thinking of going up one size from 1/4-28 to 5/16-24, but I’d have to find a bolt with a mini-head on it like the ones from the factory do. Maybe a helicoil?

Anyone have a spare with the bolts?

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

In that case I will use a quarter inch bolt to fasten the stripped end of the connector to the shift rod. Then install the lower unit and pray the other screw is OK. They usually became damaged when the hole is not precisely aligned with the groove in the shift rod. Precision is a must.

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

If it is just the head side of the connector that is damaged, back up the screw head with a stainless steel washer. If the threads are damaged, instead of going with a larger screw, install a Heli-coil.

mr-asa
          Participant
            quote Garry in Tampa:

In that case I will use a quarter inch bolt to fasten the stripped end of the connector to the shift rod. Then install the lower unit and pray the other screw is OK. They usually became damaged when the hole is not precisely aligned with the groove in the shift rod. Precision is a must.

As always, great idea Garry. I’ll go with that. Maybe use a socket head screw to ensure I have clearance of the bolt hole.
            The threads in the other hole look as good as the day they were machined.

chinewalker
            Participant

US Member

Bolt & nut the stripped side. Do so before installing the unit, then Install other bolt the normal way.

johnyrude200
              Participant

2 words: Parts motors. There are a lot more dead OMC’s that use this connector then there are good ones. (that may be debatable though!) Thank god so many were made, because there seems to be no short supply of parts motors floating around out there!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.