Home Forum Ask A Member Fleetwin 7.5 gaskets

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    burnt-clutch
    Participant

I’m refreshing my ’54 Fleetwin and wondering which gaskets I can make on my own? If I need to buy new, does it matter if I use Sierra or OMC/BRP brand gaskets? Thanks in advance.
      -Karl

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

It’s really up to you, do you want to mess with making your own or not. I haven’t found any fault with Sierra gaskets — yet.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Gaskets and gasket sets for this engine are readily available for reasonable cost….

ede
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

See my ad for NOS gaskets in the Classified Section dated 1/30/20 eddelliott@cox.net Ed Elliott

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

vintageoutboard.com also has them not to expensive all things considered .

https://www.vintageoutboard.com/collections/johnson-evinrude-gasket-kits/products/jek006-johnson-evinrude-gasket-kit-7-5-hp-1954-58

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

burnt-clutch
              Participant

Thanks for your replies. Ed, i just sent you an email for your prices. Am I supposed to use 2 gaskets for the exhaust housing to power head seal? I’m seeing some ad online that sell them in pairs.
                -Karl

aquasonic
                Participant

From the factory, they used just one exhaust cover gasket between the baffle plate and the power head. The baffle plate to exhaust cover was sealed with some type of sealant. Some of us prefer to use a second gasket instead of relying on just sealant for the baffle plate to exhaust cover connection.

If you take the exhaust cover off, make sure you clean up and inspect the baffle plate, and especially the lower half of the plate. Pin holes are common, and they allow water to spray into the exhaust ports.

Great choice on your parts vendor. If you need a new plate Ed may have one for you.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by aquasonic.
                  frankr
                  Participant

Thanks for your replies. Ed, i just sent you an email for your prices. Am I supposed to use 2 gaskets for the exhaust housing to power head seal? I’m seeing some ad online that sell them in pairs.
                    -Karl

The to gaskets powerhead to EXHAUST HOUSING to not apply to the 7.5hp. But if you really mean exhaust COVER, see above.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.