Home Forum Ask A Member Flywheel nut torque Johnson A-45 & F-75

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rapier
    Participant

Morning Folks, kindly ask if someone can tell me the flywheel torque for a 1934ish Johnson F-75 (actually my export-only ’34 OBL-70, but it has the same powerhead) and the 1929 A-45 please. Both these winter project are almost renovated now & looking forward to running them for real.

b-morrison
      Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

If you receive no reponse today, I will check with a fellow who has a master manual. Thought I had the info but I don’t either……..Brian

Mumbles
        Participant

Maybe they didn’t have torque wrenches back in the day but the recommended way to install the flywheel was with a hammer. 😯

I can’t remember the thread size on my F 70 but I don’t think I would torque it any more than 30 – 35 lbs. Better wait for Brian to come up with a proper value.

Attachments:

chris-p
          Participant

Yeah, an old school OMC mechanic that showed me on the old iron said the torque was 2 swift hits with the mallet! 😉

The Bigger hp motors were 4 swift raps.

Never had torque wrenches back then right. Every couple outings, he said give her another rap.

rapier
            Participant

Thanks Gents, much appreciated.

b-morrison
              Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

sorry I took so long to reply but, …..yes the old manuals state two sharp raps with a hammer. What I was looking for and what I found was an other bulletin from evinrude with torque values applied to their flywheel.(1959)
                3HP…30-40 FT LBS 360-480 INCH LBS
                5.5 …40-45 FT LBS 480-540 INCH LBS ETC. Now I gotta go and give my motors a rap or two……….Brian

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

This covers most Evinrudes . . . 😎

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.