Home Forum Ask A Member Folding Lightwin, seized upper driveshaft splines

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have never worked on one of these “folders” before, at least not on the gearcase or folding components. I got this 1966 folding lightwin along with some 58 Lightwin parts recently. Seems like most of the parts are there, except for the ignition…. I found that someone was in the middle of trying to remove the powerhead, but looks like the upper driveshaft splines are seized/rusted into the crank. I am curious as to why/how this was discovered. Needless to say, the gearcase would still come off and could be worked on. The seller was very concerned about being “safe”, I left the dough in his mailbox, he left the “stuff” in the yard for me to pick up.
      So, I am wondering if there is someway of “releasing” that coupler/upper driveshaft from the exhaust housing so the powerhead can be removed without sawing off the upper driveshaft. I looked at the parts breakdown, but it doesn’t reveal much about how those pieces are retained in the exhaust housing. None of my OMC manuals cover the folding units….Thanks Don

The Boat House
      Participant

frankr
        Participant

US Member

I am thinking there is some sort of bushing in the section between the hinge and gearcase, but that’s about all I remember. Too many years, too many tears.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, I remember my buddy’s 69 4hp, it chewed up the splines ever few years….Was too young back then to realize the importance of the oring and moly lube… In this case, the splines didn’t spin out, they are seized. I guess I am wondering what prompted whoever it was to attempt to pull the powerhead only to discover the seized splines, perhaps there was a cooling issue.

I will have to look more closely at the “coupler”, perhaps someone has a shop manual for a folder and can post the instructions….

Mumbles
            Participant

A friend has a stud puller with different size collets which I borrow to remove frozen driveshafts. The collet tightens up on the shaft and the puller itself is just a big slide hammer. I don’t know if a tool like this would work on your folder though.

Shaft-Puller

This Merc 200 had a shaft which would not come out no matter how hard it got pulled on. The fix was cutting a hole in the side with the plasma cutter so I could get the hot wrench in there to cut the shaft. Nothing of any value lost here as the Merc was a donor anyway and only the powerhead was salvageable.

Merc-200-Chemainus-013

dave-bernard
              Participant

US Member

If you are going to make a hole then use a air hammer on the drive shaft. worked for me.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you are going to make a hole then use a air hammer on the drive shaft. worked for me.

Yes, I have had good luck with the air hammer as well…

stanley
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Remove the pin and the upper drive shaft will pull up with power head.

96C45955-EF1E-470B-89E0-4F32520AA6A4

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Mumbles.
                    dave-bernard
                    Participant

US Member

after the powerhead is removed with the shaft ,now is the time to use the air hammer

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Remove the pin and the upper drive shaft will pull up with power head.

96C45955-EF1E-470B-89E0-4F32520AA6A4

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Mumbles.

Thanks Stanley, that is great news!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.