Home Forum Ask A Member Force 5 hp

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    enrico-italy
    Participant

A friend of mine gave me one of these little engines.

It is supposed to be a 1990 model or so.

It has a badly cracked plastic lower cover and unefficient impeller…

I checked the spare availability and I found that both are available from many sellers, but …

… the lower cover price is about 31$ in USA (acceptable)
      … the impeller price from Mercury is 97$ (absolutely crazy !!!)

Someone knows if a different impeller can fit (with some workaround, also?)

Many thanks.

benchrascal
      Participant

You will find the occasional good buy and price break on impellers when you can cross match them with older Chrysler products.I’ve serviced a few force motors and modified old stock Chrysler parts to fit .I seem to remember water pumps an d the dreaded starter pinions .You really have to have a batch of old stock in front of you to make the size comparison and then do your best to order something near.It has become a real pain in the butt to source reasonably priced parts or (what were very common) comsummables for common motors.I’ve tried to find some parts for 1970’s J/E motors recently only to have the dealer tell me they refuse to order them because any overidge would sit on the shelf forever.

enrico-italy
        Participant

YA…

I think it is normal for "not vital" parts as buttons, decals, plugs, paint cans, powerhead and/or gearcase castings etc to become "NLA" when the original stock ends, but I cannot accept that the same happens for vital parts as impellers, propellers, head gaskets, fuel pumps, carb kits, piston rings etc.

If the original maker is not able to mantain several differents stocks, the solution is very simple… USE THE SAME PART CODE FOR DIFFERENT MODELS and/or M.Y. !!!

The Italian brand Carniti, for example, used only two impeller type for all the models built from 1950 to 1980 … The "small" one and the "large" one…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.