Home Forum Ask A Member Fuel pump replacement advice Evinrude 4006E

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    archangel
    Participant

I have a failed fuel pump on an 1970 Evinrude 4 hp, model 4006E, and understand that rebuilding is not an option and that a replacement is necessary. The recommended replacement is BRP part #0388684 and the only ones I have found available for purchase in my internet searches are USD$120-plus. Can anyone recommend an alternative that will allow me to make this repair for a more reasonable cost, one that reflects the actual value of this motor more closely? I have just completed a complete ignition, carb, and water pump rebuild on this motor, so I have already sunk quite a few bucks into it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I think there is a OMC rebuild kit for these little pumps, don’t know the part number right now….But, these little things tend to “explode” when disassembled, pieces go everywhere, making it unlikely you will get it back together properly….So, be sure to mark all the casing pieces to be sure you line them up properly when reassembled, then take it apart inside a clean white bucket/deep tray so none of the bits and pieces will get away….Will look for the rebuild kit part number for you….
        Yes, a new pump is priced ridiculously, I would look for a reasonably priced (low) used one if rebuilding doesn’t pan out. But, beware, these little pumps come in many configurations, and not all will work on your engine….A used pump is surely a gamble, so be sure it is priced to reflect the gamble you are taking….Don

amuller
        Participant

There are various ways to approach this, including buying some bulk diaphragm material and making your own, and cobbling up a lawnmower pump–cost about $5-10.

But I note there are clone pumps on Amazon for $16 and change. https://www.amazon.com/OMC-Johnson-Evinrude-BRP-Assembly/dp/B07D8Y74RW This might be the most painless way to go.

OMC at one time did, I think, list parts for these small pumps, and someone can probably post a breakdown. My recollection is that they are somewhat fussy and fiddly to assemble, but far from impossible. If it really isn’t pumping, you likely have nothing to lose by taking it apart–being careful to retain little springs, etc. The diaphragm may be hard, or ripped. 1970 was before the days of alcohol-containing fuels and organic materials used then didn’t necessarily stand up well to ethanol content….

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years
            archangel
            Participant

Thanks for the quick replies. Though they may be mistaken, Marine Engine confirmed to me that original 4006E fuel pump does not have a rebuild kit available. It seems to me that I recall an ancient thread that confirms this and that the root of the issue was a bad fuel pump design that OMC regularly replaced rather than continue making kits to rebuild. No one would have any idea if the more commonly available pumps, like the one you’ve listed, are interchangeable with the 0388684 pump which is listed as the replacement part for the 4006E, would they?

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Marinengine may in fact be giving you the correct advice. To be honest, I have never even tried to rebuild one of these pumps, don’t have the dexterity or eyesight to accomplish it successfully…. OMC never made repair kits “back in the day”, they just came about late in the 80s. I just “asssssumed” the kits would work on all the little pumps….Will look for a reasonable used one for you…I would stay away from most of the cheap fits all replacements….Don’t let the low price fool you, they probably won’t fit properly and won’t last too long….
                Here is another one of the OEM kits from ebay, doesn’t seem to mention anything about older pumps that can’t be rebuilt:
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Johnson-Evinrude-OEM-Outboard-Fuel-Pump-Repair-Kit-393088-BRP-OMC/261757288199?epid=4027753950&hash=item3cf1f33f07:g:E~YAAOSwX6RcLS3d:sc:USPSFirstClass!02908!US!-1
                Someday, I will muster the courage to try this repair again…
                Will keep looking for a used pump…Don

frankr
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Thanks for the quick replies. Though they may be mistaken, Marine Engine confirmed to me that original 4006E fuel pump does not have a rebuild kit available. It seems to me that I recall an ancient thread that confirms this and that the root of the issue was a bad fuel pump design that OMC regularly replaced rather than continue making kits to rebuild. No one would have any idea if the more commonly available pumps, like the one you’ve listed, are interchangeable with the 0388684 pump which is listed as the replacement part for the 4006E, would they?

It is true that OMC did make a junk-design pump somewhere along that year. If that is what you have, parts are not available. On the other hand, they were so bad that it might have been replaced with the better design. The only way that I know to tell for sure what you have is take it apart. The crappy design had flaps on the diaphragm instead of “real” check valves.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                    frankr
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I replaced several of the poor deign pumps while the motors were still in warranty. That’s why I’m thinking it is kind of unlikely you still have one of the un-rebuildable ones. But who knows????

amuller
                      Participant

I have noticed on my few small OMC motors that some have the small square pump and some have the larger one with five screws. How interchangeable are these?

The small West Bend/Chrysler/Force pumps use diaphragm flaps for valves, are very simple, and seem to have worked for many years with the same design…..?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.