Home Forum Ask A Member Fuel Quick Connect Coupler for 1971 Chrysler 9.6 hp

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Loren Simonis
    Participant

I recently picked up a 1971 Chrysler 9.6 hp (Montgomery Wards) outboard at a garage sale which looks really clean for its age. My problem now is cannot attempt to start it because it did not come with a fuel tank and I’m assuming that the fuel coupler attached to the motor is for a “quick connect” connection. Also, because I cannot locate a model or serial number stamped anywhere on the outside of this motor I am unable to locate (thru Marine Engine, Inc., etc.) the specific part number for this particular motor/ fuel connect part. I have a 1958 Johnson 5.5 hp which has a pressurized fuel tank but I don’t believe this is the case for this 1972 Chrysler so again, I’m assuming, any type of fuel tank will work once I locate the correct fuel attachment/coupler? Anyone suggestions out there?

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

I lost all my Chrysler/Sea King parts books in my move from Florida – the model number would start with VWB – I believe the fuel tank connector’s part number is 197797-1. The easiest fix would be to switch the outboards fuel connector to an OMC one. This would make finding a fuel tank much easier.

Geer Pyron
        Participant

I’d just find a similar motor (year and make) on marine engine.com and order the coupling for that one.
          It’ll be the same.
          Or, as I did with my 68′ Chrysler made 9.2 Wizard, put an omc connection on it. Cause I have a lot laying around and I like switching motors and it saves time and space to able to have just one tank and hose.
          And the id tag for my Chrysler built is inside, back strbrd side.
          Maybe the same for yours?
          G

JMGP

Geer Pyron
          Participant

I second the above suggestion.
            That’s what I did to my Chrysler built 9.2 Wizard.
            But you could just order a coupling from a similar make and model.
            The id plate on mine is inside, back strbrd side.
            And it probably has a fuel pump so any tank, yes.
            G

JMGP

amuller
            Participant

I have OMC connectors on my West Bends/Elgins but it doesn’t make a neat installation.

I *think* you will find that the connector, which vaguely resembles an air hose connector, is the same as used on various Chrysler, Force, Eska, West Bend, Sears, Clinton, Suzuki (?) and others. I have found these to work well and not be hard to find. They don’t all have the same hose barb size. Not sure if the connecting parts come in more than one size.

am

frankr
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Sierra part number 18-8062. Available many places selling Sierra parts, including NAPA.

frankr
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Is yours like this?

capture-chrysler-fuel

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.