Home Forum Ask A Member Gale Buccaneer info

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    thepetrolist
    Participant

Hi there

I’m about to pick up a 1962 Gale Buccaneer 15 hp motor. It’s missing the prop and it has a really badd paint job (backyard dollar-store rattle can type of deal). The model name is 15D14B.

I’m wondering about the interchangeability of parts from other OMC engines. Is there any OMC interchangeability parts list available?
      Working just by memory, I thought it looked very much internally as my 1963 Sportwin. Would be quite an easy-piecy to restore if Evinrude/Johnson parts work.

Any other tips and tricks I should know about?

Cheers!

mr-asa
      Participant

Ignition stuff should be the same as well as a decent amount of lower unit stuff.
        Beyond that, it’s iffy. Gales get weird with some of their stuff, one off parts all over the place.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Actually, almost everything on that motor other than the cowling was used on Johnson or Evinrude 15 and/or 18/20hp at some time or another. Just not necessarily all at the same time. The powerhead is almost like the 1956 J/E 15hp except for stuff like the hood mounts (because the ’56 had a metal hood). Lower end is pure OMC/Johnson/Evinrude. Likewise carburetor and ignition.

There is no interchange list. Best just get yourself a parts book unique to the motor. If the part numbers are the same as J/E, the part is the same.

retiredoz
          Participant

US Member

The internal specs seem to match the pre’56 Johnson (and Evinrude ?) 15-hp motors. Pretty sure the carb and ignition, along with the tower are matches too. Biggest difference I can discern is lower pan and cowl..

Mumbles
            Participant

Congratulations on finding a great motor! I just hope it has the correct starter and adjustment knobs on it as they can be tricky to find.

The powerhead is basically a ’56 Johnson FD-10 fifteen horse except it has a different reed plate since the motor has a fuel pump on it. There was no need to machine the plate for the check valves which the pressure tank motors use. Even the lower crank seals (the crappy ones which like to fail) share the same part number. I can’t remember what year or horsepower Johnson gearcase is on my ’63 Viking, but it was a direct swap. The ’56 FD came with a weedless prop which some people don’t like but if you can find one, it will push a light boat around quite well.

How about posting some pics? I’ll show you mine if you show me yours! 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9d0otig5nU

frankr
              Participant

US Member

I had forgotten that they changed to roller bearings on the wrist pins. That started with 15D14 in 1962. That makes the pistons & rods different than the ’56 J/E 15hp and/or earlier Gale 15s. Also makes it a better powerhead. And a bit of a rarity too, since 1963 was the last year, at least in U.S. Yep, still has that garbage 303804 lower crank seal, one of the world’s most effective motor killers.

thepetrolist
                Participant

Thanks for the info! Theres some fantastic knowledge at this board, I just keep on getting amazed!

Mumbles I will post some pics when I get hold of the engine. But I’m not sure you really wan’t to see it, that’s how ugly it is 😆
                  It’s going to be nice after a restoration. Have to start scrounging projects for next winter, you know 😀

mogems-yahoo-com
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I swapped a twist throttle shaft from a 1957 18hp E/rude into a 1956 Gale (Monkey-Ward Sea King) and found the E/rude beefier at the geared flip-up jct. than the Gale. mogems

mogems-yahoo-com
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

P.S. It was nec. to rep’l both the drive & driven gears. (There was that much more beef!) mogems

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

The gears were changed from stamped to cast in mid-year 1956, applies to Gale AND Evinrude/Johnson. So if you had a set of early ’56 gears and a set of ’57 gears, well there is the explanation.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.