gas cap thread size Reproductions?

Home Forum Ask A Member gas cap thread size Reproductions?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• paulfromyork

Replies: 42
    Topics: 26

I have two old motors; 1954 gale 12hp, and a 1949 ELTO Sportster 5hp. I was wondering if I might make a new gas cap for these (maybe aluminum) and I was wondering if any one knew the thread size? The Gale has an OD of 1 .625. The thread seems to be .060" form peak to peak, but that would be 16.66 threads per inch. Sound very unAmerican. Anybody know?

paulfromyork

Well, I brought my thread pitch gage home from work, and it is a 1.625"-16 thread. Peak to peak is .0625"

paulfromyork

💡 I’ve been thinking about this, and with out too much extra trouble, Instead of making a cap, I could build a "simple" mold and make many caps. Garry, maybe you know how many gas caps are the same. (?) It just so happens I have a friend who is molding plastic in his garage for fun and profit. Sooo, is the market covered by someone else? No need for a repeat. Or maybe which caps might be hard to find or replace?

It’s still just a wild idea, but I COULD do it. Thoughts please. I hope this post is not some kind of violation of the rules 😳

paulfromyork

Hey! I just checked, and my ’49 ELTO and my ’54 Gale have interchangeable caps. I guess they are rather plentiful.
    So that changes my question. Does anyone have a 1.625-16 (looks like phenolic) gas cap I can buy? Complete, or at least the cap and vent closing screw? I’ve got one with a seized screw and I might bugger it up trying to fix it. 😳

retiredoz

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 565
    Topics: 27

Sent you a PM.

The Boat House

Replies: 4549
    Topics: 111

I believe this is the cap you are talking about.
    Aluminum ones are before WW-II. Plastic is after.
    Found on many of the smaller Evinrudes and Eltos.
    Hard to find a nice aluminum one. Most have seen
    pliers sometime in their life.

paulfromyork

Yes, Tubs, that is my cap. the plastic one. Maybe I’ll take a run at a repro. aluminum cap for fun.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.