Home Forum Ask A Member Gas Tank question: True or False–

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    paulfromyork
    Participant

I have a 12 hp ’54 gale that has been nicely converted to fuel pump. If I buy a current Attwood plastic fuel tank, It COULDN’T be a pressure tank. True or False? (I am assuming that pressure tanks are no longer made) In other words, it’ll work with my fuel pump OBM, right(?) The Attwood tank has a fitting on top, so I’m assuming that there is a dip tube to the bottom of the tank.

PugetSoundBoater
      Participant

TRUE, tanks made these days are not pressure tanks. Yes there is a tube going from the fitting on the top downside the tank to very near the bottom of the tank. There should be a fine screen at the bottom of the "dip tube" . There is a vent screw on the filler cap,that needs to be opened when running motor .You will have to get a male gas line connector fitting that screws into the side of the top tank threaded hole. all your gas line connecting have to be for a certain motor manufacturer, matches the same brand configuration fitting that is on your fuel line . If you go with OMC Johnson/Evinrude, don’t get aftermarket (Attwood, Seastar, Perko ) fittings . Buy BRP Johnson/Evinrude as they fit better,and don’t leak or suck air .That has been my experience,others have mentioned the same issue.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
        Robbie Robertson

jerry-ahrens
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Very true on the fuel connectors… I would suggest to go only OEM on the connectors and the fuel hose. One word of caution though on buying a brand new plastic fuel tank… the current [new] fuel tanks do not have an air vent that will open and close like we are all used to. Instead, they have a one way vent that will allow atmospheric pressure in, only while the engine is running and consuming fuel. The problem is, while the boat is setting outside in the sun with the engine off, the one way vent will NOT allow any venting OUT to allow for the expansion of the fuel. Often times these tanks will eventually leak fuel because of pressure pushing fuel out around the cap threads. You end up with a big mess with fuel leaking inside the boat. My advice is to find an older tank that has a vent. And it will will be much less expensive . Hope this will be of help…

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Yes – OMC connectors are the most popular. . . 😆

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
              quote paulfromYork:

I have a 12 hp ’54 gale that has been nicely converted to fuel pump.

Didn’t these Gales come from the factory with a fuel pump? If not,what year did they change over? I’ve never seen a gale with a duel line and pressure tank.

Dave

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Some models got the fuel pump in 1951, along with a gear shift.
                . . 😉

paulfromyork
                Participant

Didn’t these Gales come from the factory with a fuel pump? If not,what year did they change over? I’ve never seen a gale with a duel line and pressure tank.

Dave[/quote]
                  I was told by the previous owner that around this year(’54), Gale started offering the fuel pump as an option. My motor came w/o it, but was later converted. Gale had fuel pumps before the others.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

"The problem is, while the boat is setting outside in the sun with the engine off, the one way vent will NOT allow any venting OUT to allow for the expansion of the fuel"

I just loosen the gas cap a bit …just on the edge to allow vapors to find a way out rather than bloating up the tank in the sun

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Doug Wilson
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I had a tank that did not have vent came back to the boat setting at the dock and the tank looked like a football rocking on the bottom. First and last day I used that tank put some old gas I need to get rid of in it and took to hazardous waste disposal place told them to keep it.

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
                      turned off?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.