Home Forum Ask A Member Gasket Sealer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    willyboy
    Participant

When replacing gaskets on an old outboard is the use of gasket sealer also used to make a leak proof seal? I just finished making a set of gaskets for my 1939 md-39 Johnson for where the carb plate covers the water jacket and was wondering if using some permatex indian head gasket shellac would be a good idea to make sure no water gets thru?

Michael
      Participant

International Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Personally I do not use any gasket sealer on a gasket. If the gasket surface is in good/decent condition, the gasket should seal it on its own. Plus putting gasket sealer on there makes for a mess the next time the engine is dis assembled.

Mumbles
        Participant

OMC/BRP Gasket Sealing Compound or the Mercury equivalent (Perfect Seal) are good to use to help prevent fluid leaks. Certain gaskets, such as head gaskets, usually go on dry.

billy-j
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I use the OMC/BRP gasket sealer (sparingly ) on my outboard gaskets. It does not dry really hard I also put it on my screw threads before I install screws or nuts to keep water out. Also I think it really smells good.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.