Home Forum Ask A Member Gear case pressure testing

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Tinman
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

thanks everyone for the good ideas. Pressurizing the gearcase and using bubbles is a great idea. Should of thought of that one myself. I am a hvac tech and regularly use soap bubbles to test for gas and refrigerant leaks. Is the thread size on the drain and fill plug a standard size? Thanks for all the help!

Bryan

Tinman
      Participant

Most of my motors are 1950’s johnsons and evinrudes. And we finally got some snow here in central missouri!!! Almost forgot what it looked like since we did not get any last year.

Mumbles
        Participant

Is the thread size on the drain and fill plug a standard size?

Yup, standard 3/8 – 16 UNC.

Mumbles
          Participant

And we finally got some snow here in central Missouri!!!

Snow? What’s that?

Every year around the middle of January, I notice the days are getting longer and the daffs are starting to poke their heads out. I even got to mow a little bit of lawn yesterday!

Mumbles
            Participant

Here’s the proof! ☺

Daffs-Jan-14-2019-

Mowing-Jan-14-2019-

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

taking about HVAC…. I saw a car AC repair kit the other day which comes with a can R134 freon and a special can to help “reseal” a leaky car AC system .

these 2 pressurize cans come with a cable/hose with a control valve and built in pressure meter

buy simply changing the AC car side connector end to standard 3/8 – 16 UNC any chance these C kit could become an easy to use LU test kit.

a) to check leaks with a bit… of r134 gas

b) to use the sealing agent can to actually swell up the LU seal joints if any leaks are detected

replacing the end connector to a standard 3/8 – 16 UNC. would make for an easy to use test & reseal kit .

https://www.walmart.com/ip/R134A-AC-Car-Air-Conditioning-Refrigerant-Recharge-air-conditioner-Measuring-Kit-Hose-Gauge/227748040

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EZ-Chill-Auto-A-C-Recharge-with-Leak-Sealer-Refrigerant-R-134a-11-oz/111930024

r134 is apparently not to bad for the ozone layer and not much would be used anyway … compared to millions of leaky car AC

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Tinman
                Participant

That would probably work just fine!

The Boat House
                  Participant

Tinman
                    Participant

Probably be making my own soon!

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.