Home Forum Ask A Member Gear Case Sealant

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    johnny-infl
    Participant

I remember this being discussed recently but now I can’t seem to find it.
      I have refurbished the Johnson clam shell gear case and now have one to do
      on my 50hp Chrysler Force.
      Got it all apart without any issues – bearings are okay. The pinion gear has a
      broken tooth so I opened the old 35hp Force to see if they match, and they do.
      and I noticed that both motors do NOT have any sealant on the o-ring seals – at all.
      and BOTH leak water into the case, but can’t tell where the water is actually coming from.
      I put in a new water pump, lower shaft seal and shift rod seal a few months ago.
      so, I have a new total seal kit on the way for the 50 and all parts are clean and mating
      surfaces are good to go……. I know it won’t hurt anything if I put sealant on the
      seals – or – will it ? The bearing cage is a friction fit held in with two bolts top and bottom.
      Additional insurance to use the sealant ?

chris-p
      Participant

I put 3M 847 on all my gearcase o rings and spaghetti seals.

pappy
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Gasket sealing compound is all you need on an O-ring. The compression of the O-ring does the sealing.
          In a Johnson/Evinrude gearcase I will dab 847 in the groove to hold the spaghetti seal In place. Once in place then I use the GSC.

wiscoboater
          Participant

Pappy and Chris,
            When you do your gear cases, do you use OEM spaghetti seals, or aftermarket (Sierra, NY Marine’s, or other). Is any one seal better then another in your experience?

chris-p
            Participant

I have not ever tried Sierra, so cannot comment on it. I have used OEM, and other aftermarket. Pretty basic stuff though in my opinion. Not sure anyone could mess making that up!

johnny-infl
              Participant

I bought a 10′ piece off of ebay for $5 + free shipping.

10 FEET BUNA O-RING CORD .103" 70 DURO RUBBER 3/32" THICK

I have probably wasted a foot of it trying to develop the technique of getting a square cut end.

phil-b
                Participant

Johnny: what’s your technique?

johnny-infl
                  Participant

what I found that works best for me is rolling it on the table with an X-Acto blade
                    or single edge razor blade and just slowly cutting partially through at a time all the way around.
                    But, I have only been messing with spaghetti seal for a couple of months now. Complete NOVICE.
                    I think that if I was in the business, I would make a small guillotine to slice it with.
                    I do understand the concept of having a square tight end against the shaft seal being paramount.

Mumbles
                    Participant

If you don’t have any 847, try using some Permatex Ultra Black Gasket Maker. It’s an RTV adhesive sealant and it doesn’t care if the ends of the spaghetti are cut square or not. Once it’s set, it’s leak proof.

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

try Dollar store pill cutters

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.