Home Forum Ask A Member Gear ratio for !996 Merc 4cylinder 2stroke

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    geary
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Guys,
      A couple days ago I asked if anyone could tell me what gear ratio a 1996 Mercury 4 cylinder 2 stroke ELO engine was supposed to have ? EltoQuad replied according to his Mercury brochure, it showed it as having a 2:1 ratio. So we did a check using this ~ http://www.evinrudenation.com/owner-zone/by-the-numbers-gear-ratio-determination-and-speed-calculations-for-your-boat/ calculation to see if it was a 2:1 ! But it showed it to be a 1.6:1 instead ? The engine is on a 16ft Lund which weighs a little over 800 lbs. and has a 3blade 10 X13″ pitch propeller ! The problem is the boat is very sluggish getting out of the hole with a couple people in it and only turns about 4500 WOT at about 27mph
      We order a 10″ pitch prop for it in hopes of getting a better hole shot and bring the rpm up to it’s recommended 5000- 5500 ! But I’m still wondering if this engine has a different ratio than was recommended ? Anyone know ?

Gary

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

don’t worry about the ratio. with the 13 @4500 the 10 should be 5100 – 5250.

eltoquad
        Participant

US Member

Same sales catalog lists the 50 H.P motor with 1.64:1 gear ratio. The 60 H.P. motor non Big Foot is also 1.64:1 .

geary
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Guys, Just got the prop today, will be giving it a try Wednesday ! I post another comment on our results later this week !

And Remember ~ Keep The Blue Smoke Flowing !

Gary

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.