Home Forum Ask A Member Gearcase flushing procedure prior to Lubriplate 105

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    seahuntboater
    Participant

Greetings. Not taking apart an elgin gearcase but want to flush out old gear oil and replace with Lubriplate 105. Thinking of using gasolline, kerosene, spinning shaft with a drill and doing it a couple of times then blowing air through fill/drain holes prior to greasing. Any advice appreciated. Thanks Ralph

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I’d opt for the kerosene or mineral spirits over gasoline for safety reasons.

westwind
        Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

You can also warm it up with a heat gun so it runs out more like oil. It should have thin grease in it. I wouldn’t use gas…..

jeff-register
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Once you get it clean run some 30wt oil thru it & then redrain, then refill with 105. I use a horse syringe from the feed & tack store. It has a tapered end that fits into the gearcase fill port. If you ever want to change the 105 gently heat the case & it will melt too. The 30wt gets most of the thinning from the solvent removed.

seahuntboater
            Participant

Thanks to all. got the lubriplate coming from amazon. $10.45. cheaper than Napa and they bring it to my door.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.