Home Forum Ask A Member Gears and Bushing (Johnson)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    johnny-infl
    Participant

1960 Johnson Super Sea Horse 40hp.
      Upon cleaning up the gears in the gear case, the reverse gear brass bushing was
      loose and just slid out – – – the forward gear bushing was stuck and had to be "coaxed" out with a hammer.
      Should it be forced back in ? or, should it fit loose and spin freely like the reverse gear.
      or, does it matter as long as it fits the prop shaft snugly ?
      and if it is pressed back in, should the holes be lined up ? or does it matter.

I should mention that it "appears" to have been run with little to no oil in the gear case and
      it was half full of water when I drained it with maybe 4oz of oil.

chris-p
      Participant

That forward gear bushing is fixed in. Well, it was anyways, lol. The reverse as you found has a separate bushing. The hole in the bushing is aligned with the hole in the gear for the forward gear.

dan-in-tn
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Yeah Johnny that was a pressed fit on the forward gear. It didn’t use to be on earlier RDs. The bushings were reversible, but after they were pressed on the forward gear they picked up a shoulder on the back side of the gear. I think the holes would line up for lubrication purposes.

Dan in TN

johnny-infl
          Participant

That is my line of thinking – put it back the way it was.
            I was just concerned about the discoloration on both bushings
            due to low or no oil in the gear case and overheated.
            and I was thinking the one with the shoulder on it may have expanded a bit.
            Cleaned up the color with some 600 grit paper and will go back together
            today with a new seal kit. LOL starting with the toes and working my way up to the nose.
            THANKS !!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.