Home Forum Ask A Member Gel coat

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jeff-register
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Anyone had their boat gel coated lately? Wondering what the costs to be for 14 ‘ glass boat to be shot.

creekrunner
      Participant

probably twice+ what it’s worth…..unless it’s an exceptional classic……too bad……but reality……

jeff-register
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Creekrunner,
          I got a ball park figure from a local boat dealer. He wants $1500.00 to do the work. Yes it is a classic boat to me. Much less than a new boat too.

creekrunner
          Participant

…anxious to see some before and after’s…quality glass work keeps getting more pricey….good luck

archangel
            Participant
              quote Jeff Register:

Creekrunner,
              I got a ball park figure from a local boat dealer. He wants $1500.00 to do the work. Yes it is a classic boat to me. Much less than a new boat too.

That’s to re-gel coat, not paint? Seems incredibly cheap if it is for gel coating. My understanding–which is admittedly less than comprehensive–is that it is next to impossible to even find someone to gel coat and mind-blowingly expensive to have done if you can find someone.

shoestringmariner
              Participant

Price sounds like a pretty good deal. Is paint such a bad option if gelcoat is prohibative?

jeff-register
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, Me too. I was wondering about a super paint too. Then the first time I’m beaching it I may lose the paint. I’m no expert by far!! That is why I came here is for guidance. I have done much glass laminations but no geling yet maybe! Depends on how many tools I need opposed to costs. I’m just learning now.
                  Jeff

joesnuffy
                  Participant

This is a guy I used to learn how to do fiberglass repairs correctly. He has terrific videos and knows what he is doing. I re-did a 14K Jet Ski that had been ripped apart on the bottom by rocks using his videos. It included gel coat repairs and fiberglass cosmetic and structural repairs. He has a video even on how to match gel coat color. Take a look at all his videos. If nothing else it will allow you to ask the right questions to someone your considering repairing your boat. Hope it helps. 😀

https://www.youtube.com/user/boatworkstoday/videos

Joe

ps I will attach some pics of the damage and repair. The entire engine and jet drive had to be removed. The jet ski tunnel was even cracked. The ski has 215 horse power supercharged so repair had to be strong. I built up tunnel on both sides over 1/8 inch. I have never itched so bad in my life lol.

I got all my fiberglass resin, matting, gel coat, mekp etc from this seller on ebay. Their products are fresh not old that is very important when doing repairs.
                    http://www.ebay.com/sch/fiberglasssuppl … pg=&_from=

Attachments:

joesnuffy
                    Participant

Some more pics

joesnuffy
                      Participant

Some more pics not all in right order.

Joe

Attachments:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.