Getting my 1960 Evinrude 3 hp running…

Home Forum Ask A Member Getting my 1960 Evinrude 3 hp running…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)

• overland

Replies: 24
    Topics: 4

I’ve checked the spark–thanks to the member who referred me to Harbor freight for the tool to do that–and it seems fine. I filled the tank (it came to me empty) and started it up. It ran pretty well, though not not entirely smoothly, and when it turned it to “Fast” it would shut off. This went on for some until after a while I couldn’t get it started again. What’s my next step?
    Here are a couple other questions:
    What do I do with the two knobs that control the fuel mixture–lean to rich? I’m not sure how to adjust them.
    I’m still not sure the best way to take the flywheel off if I don’t have the special tool for it.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

A 3-bolt puller is cheap at an auto parts store, and good enough for your little 3hp. It sounds like your coils are probably shot (cracked).

The two knobs are not rocket science. Simply set them where it runs the best at high and idle speed. But it will never run right until you replace those cracked coils (if they are).

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

I’m pretty sure your engine has an inspection cover on top of the flywheel…Simply remove the three screws to remove the cover and have a look at the coils without having to pull the flywheel…
    You may have an ignition issue causing the engine to crap out at high speed, or you may have a fuel system issue… Just because you are seeing spark on both cylinders while cranking does not mean you aren’t losing spark under load…
    Try opening the high speed fuel needle (lower one) 3/8 turn (counterclockwise) to see if the engine will keep running at high speeds…
    The initial adjustments for the high speed needle (lower one) is 3/4 turns out from gently seated
    Low speed needle (upper one) is initially set at 1.5 turns out from gently seated

overland

Does “opening” mean richer or leaner? Also–and please forgive my ignorance–what’s a 3-bolt puller?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by overland.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Think of those knobs like a garden hose spigot. “Opening”, means turning the knobs counter clockwise, allowing more fuel into the mix, making it “richer”….

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Often called a harmonic balancer puller. Some auto parts stores will loan you one. 3 bolts screw into your flywheel to pull it off.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/13pc-Harmonic-Balance-Puller-Shaft-Steering-Wheel-Crank-Crankshaft-Damper-puller/351390362389?hash=item51d07f6b15:g:z8cAAOSwFMdai6Ch

overland

The coils seem fine. But I get it running, and it runs for maybe 5 or 10 minutes at medium speeds, slower and faster. Then I throttle it way down and it shuts off, and I can’t get it started again.
    Also, there seems to be gas dripping from the carb.
    Not sure what to do next. I expected that it would either run or not run, but it seems to do both!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by overland.

seakaye12

Replies: 1117
    Topics: 108

A simple thing to check would be fuel flow to the carburetor. Disconnect the hose or fitting at the carburetor and open the fuel valve, Be sure the vent on the tank cap is open as well. You should get a nice steady flow. If not…..maybe the filter inside the tank is partially plugged.

terriblecj

Replies: 78
    Topics: 16

Are you running it it will the lower unit submerged in water?

eltoquad

Replies: 244
    Topics: 56

gas dripping from the carb to me would indicate bad carb float or needle and seat.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.