Home Forum Ask A Member Getting started on an 18HP Johnson, anything missing? Any quirks?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mr-asa
    Participant

From what I remember of decoding the tag it should be a 1964.

From what I can tell:
      It looks like the electrical harness is missing its hold down, and it appears to be damaged/cut in a couple places (anyone know a vendor that sells the female plug?)
      On the starboard side of the carburetor there appears to be some sort of hold down with nothing bolted to it. Choke solenoid? Other?
      The clip that holds the tower against the transom clamps appears to be loose enough to slip off. Common problem?

I’m going to disassemble it completely and clean it up soon so I’ll be able to let you guys know if I find anything else

https://imgur.com/a/ikIETCn

frankr
      Participant

US Member

nymarine.ca has the reproduction wiring harness if you got the $$.
        yep, choke solenoid and linkage
        ??not understanding what clip you mean.

david-bartlett
        Participant

Evan,

The clip you mention is the reverse lock mechanism. Needs to be in reverse for it to work properly. Looks normal to me from your picture.

mr-asa
          Participant
            quote FrankR:

??not understanding what clip you mean.

The reverse lock clip on the tower. For some reason its slipped off one of the posts. Weird enough to note is all

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It looks like the clip got bend out, somehow, that’s all. Just another story that an old motor begs to tell, if it could talk.Take it off, over-bend it back until it it will remain square and straight, then just carefully wedge it back on over the two bosses. It’ll be fine. Is this your first 18 OMC? You’ll be amazed. As far as quirks, finding one with a good, un-pitted crank and cylinder walls that aren’t worn out is always a big plus.

Long live American manufacturing!

dan-in-tn
              Participant

US Member

I should have .020 & .040 OS pistons & rings if you need to rebuild? Bought a bunch off eBay a Longgg time ago!

Dan in TN

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.