Home Forum Ask A Member Getting the gas out when you’re done using a motor.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant

I can count on one hand the motors I have
      gotten that didn’t have old, often dried up
      gas, left in them.
      I always run a motor till it quits when I’m
      done running them but there is almost always
      some gas left in the tank. Trying any number
      of ways to get the rest out was always a pain.
      Now I have a dumpster full of great ideas that
      didn’t work out. This device was on its way to
      the trash after another failure when I need to
      get the gas out of this motor to travel.
      I wonder?
      You do needed a pretty stiff bottle to pull the
      gas up. The one I’m using is barely stiff
      enough so I’m having to help it some.
      This wasn’t my intent for this “Boat House”
      device. Timing had a lot to do with it.
      Tubs

https://youtu.be/GJ3KvTtSFNE

fastjohn
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you make the hose a little longer and put the bottle below the tank it will siphon till empty.  I use a similar set-up with a gas line and squeeze bulb.

The Boat House
        Participant

If you make the hose a little longer and put the bottle below the tank it will siphon till empty.  I use a similar set-up with a gas line and squeeze bulb.

That sould work if once I got the gas flowing I pulled the hose out of the bottle.
          Tubs

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

sucking it out  with a  small vacum pump or your mouth   via a small  2  “hosed”   holding jar…… should  take it all out

some brake line vacum pumps  used for GC  pressure and VACUM   testing  can suck it out  and you won’t need to brush your teeth after 🙂

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjarYyRyYL4AhWGr4QIHaW0DB8QuAJ6BAgDEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DlnhZFn5gkG4&usg=AOvVaw0aA8b9YfM4P8VjB36Gmuwt

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by crosbyman.
            kerry
            Participant

US Member

Gearcase lube pump.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

Tom
              Participant

US Member

I use an OMC primer bulb in the middle of a 4′ length of fuel hose.  I have about a foot of 3/8″ copper tubing jammed into the inlet end which lets me get to the far reaches of tanks as necessary.  Use copper, NOT anything that might spark.  Just drop the copper tubing end into a tank of gas, the other end in your portable tank, and squeeze the primer bulb.

Tom

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

after gold… copper is  probabaly  the second best  electricity conductor…it may not cause a sprak from friction but… it will carry  your static electricity quite well 🙂

just a rubber  hose should do fine..  anything left is a dark corner will evaporate  …or  dump a rag in the tank  to soak it up then pull it out  with  a stiff hooked wire

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by crosbyman.
                  Jorzo211
                  Participant

US Member

I use an OMC primer bulb in the middle of a 4′ length of fuel hose.  I have about a foot of 3/8″ copper tubing jammed into the inlet end which lets me get to the far reaches of tanks as necessary.  Use copper, NOT anything that might spark.  Just drop the copper tubing end into a tank of gas, the other end in your portable tank, and squeeze the primer bulb.

Tom

I was use the same setup to get the fuel out of my pressure tank. Take a little bit of squeezing but it works great

MARK-7, KF-7, KE4-A, MARK 15, WN7A, (60)MERC 200

joecb
                    Participant

US Member

Squeeze bottle, simple and with a small diameter tube to get the “good to the last drop” out… I like it.

Many carbs have a drain screw on the bowl, look for it… get the last drops out of the carb.

Joe B

jrm80
                      Participant

Forgive me for hijacking this post, but what to do about the gas remaining in the carburetor on those carburetors that do not have drain plugs?  I’m told it is a bad idea to run the engine dry because there is no lubricating oil present when the gas runs out, but the engine is still sputtering with what little gas remains. I’m not sure i believe that, but there is some logic to it. Then there is the problem of running the gas out of one carburetor until the engine quits, but still having gas in the other carburetor(s). The alternative it to disassemble the carburetors to remove the remaining gas which will usually be at the end of the season when it is nice and cold out and one isn’t real excited about tearing the carburetors apart anyhow. Any thoughts?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.