Home Forum Ask A Member Glassing in a hole

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jeff-register
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Looks like a transporting hole.
      Need to fix this hole, looks like a pole hole I need to fix. I have learned to use good fiberglass resin & how to fill in a blind hole using pop stick
      to hold from the back sides or something new, HELP!
      Jeff

outbdnut2
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I like to use resin with chopped fiberglass strands in it to fill holes and large cracks where putting cloth over it is not a good option.. For a small repair, you can chop up some cloth yourself, or if you want to buy it, below is a link to an example of chopped fiberglass. Many years ago, I used to buy a small can of resin with the glass already mixed in, but haven’t been able to find it lately.
        Dave

http://www.fiberglasssite.com/fiberglas … d-strands/

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Hey I just found the resin with the filler glass in it:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai … &ppt=C0171

auldscott
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have been using thixotropic epoxy for a lot of fiberglass boat repair. It does not have fiber in it but it has the consistency of toothpaste when being worked and it will not flow or sag once you stop working it. Jamestown Distributors has Total Boat or WEST 6-10 brands. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us … ?pid=64347

I don’t use the mixing tube. It’s a hassle and it wastes resin. To me the stuff is magic; I have fixed many a hole, crack, or seam with it. It will stay put on any surface. Maybe not as structurally strong as resin with glass, but I have not tested that.

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you everyone, I do have resin & cloth of different grades. What I was looking for is the best way to fill the hole from the back side first.
              I think I will use a small piece of thin plywood then cloth behind it to hold it in place while it was curing, then fill & sand the rest. Thanks for the replies.

BEEN thinking, I thought of using expanded steel for a backing, easy to shape & flexable to get on the blind backside & put roven woven glass cloth for a heavy backing & very strong cotton string in several spots to follow the shape of the boat. Thoughts?

johnny-infl
              Participant

Jeff – maybe I missed something somewhere . . .

is there a photo of this hole that you have, how big is it and what it is in ?

jeff-register
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Check your messages for description.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.