Home Forum Ask A Member Gold Mine Turned Into A Diamond Mine

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

Today I went back to the gold mine where I picked up those pressure tanks last week. This time I bought a couple of fresh water OK motors I new were sitting there. The one OK has a perfectly straight tank I might polish for one of my other OK’s while the other tank has a small dent in the corner which will probably pop out quite easily. The prop on one is what I was really after. What I payed for both motors I would have payed just for the tank.

Anyway, he had some other stuff I couldn’t say no to. First, a five dollar ’57 JW which I got running for him a few years ago. Another five dollar motor was a ’58 Big Twin which is missing the low speed knob. Since the tiller was missing to, he threw in a nice tiller from a ’58 RD to sweeten the deal. Amongst the freebies were a running four horse McCulloch with a red Atom module in it, big block twenty horse Rude for parts, a mostly complete Neptune Mighty Mite, and the jewel in the crown, a big, heavy Koban. The square tank RBM’s and PO 15 aren’t ready to go yet but will probably be available sometime in the future.

This skegless Koban is what has me pumped up right now. It turns over and I believe it is a magneto ignition, not battery. It’s heavy and has lots of bronze or brass pieces on it including the flywheel, thumb screws, gearcase and prop. The cylinders and crankcase are cast iron. According to the Hunn book, it’s either 1912 or 1921 but I’m thinking probably ’21. The steel tank is clean inside and not dented but the tiller handle is missing as is the original starting knob. That should be an easy fix. According to the story, it was used in Victoria’s Gorge Waterway but didn’t have enough oomph to navigate thru the narrows when the tide was running. No decal is visible but I can make out some red paint on the tank. Does anyone have any more information on this motor?

david-bartlett
      Participant

Mumbles,

Some real nice treasures you have there.

That Koban sure looks interesting. With that nice picture to go by, I’m sure you will have yours looking nice in no time.

Points could use a little touch up though. 😎

kees
        Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Very nice that KOBAN Rowboat Motor
          1920 was the year Koban changed its model in a model with removable cylinders
          your serial nr. 21325 tell us that the motor was made in 1921 and
          was the 325th motor produced in that year.

well, you have some work to do in finding the missing parts, but
          with a good sample and a bronze foundry, the rudder can be molded, together
          with the small parts for the tiller a.s.o.
          😉

outboardnut
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

It nice to see that cool motors can still be found

Randy in Tampa
            Participant

Sweeeet! Makes me want to move up north and look for motors! 😎

burt
              Participant

You lucky so-n-so!! Nice finds…love the pix.

ChetGrant
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Below are some places where you can learn more about your Koban.

1. "The American Rowboat Motor" by Arlan Carter. This is a must have book for anyone interested in early outboards. You can order
                  from Arlan directly. His contact info is in the club directory. The book is also available on Ebay and Amazon too.
                  2. My rowboat motor website http://www.caille.8m.com/rowboat/
                  The Koban page is http://www.caille.8m.com/rowboat/Koban/koban-index.html
                  3. The most important person to go to is ALWAYS the special interest group leader in this case Chris Scratch.

Kobans did not have decals and were not painted with metal flake paint. The tank was gray and the iron parts black.
                  Nonferrous parts were not painted.

Jack

wedgie
                  Participant

I think we’re all a little jealous Mumbs, :mrgreen: but you’re definitely the best guy to do those motors justice. You’re gonna have to rent more storage space now eh! Did you leave anything for anyone else? 😛

Mumbles
                    Participant

Thanks Jack and Kees. That’s exactly the information I was looking for!

An yes Wedgie, I did leave the big ‘uns for next time!

chris-p
                      Participant

Great find! Have fun with em

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.