Home Forum Ask A Member Handy Taps And Dies To Have On Hand

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

Here’s some common and not so common taps and dyes I keep nearby when working on the smaller OMC classics. While everything is apart, I like to chase all of the threads to remove any gunk or corrosion. That makes it a whole lot easier when going back together. The 4-40 is used for carb butterfly screws while the common 10-24 is used mostly for exhaust covers, intake manifolds, and mag plates. The 6-32 will clean up the threads on the mags adjusting screw for the points. The special order oddball 12-28 is used for the tiller grip screw and 1/4-40 is used for most carburetor mixture adjusting screws. The 12-28 comes in real handy as lots of tillers I see have mangled threads in them.

DSC00013

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Mumbles.
      Randy in Tampa
      Participant

I use many of the same ones on the older Johnson motors “square tankers” Thanks for sharing Mumbles

Rotary valve Johnson’s Rule!

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

Pretty sure I don’t have a 12-28 tap or die….. mine probably get
          retapped a different size without me knowing about it!

Prepare to be boarded!

rmhxruss
          Participant

Some OMC carb butterfly screws are 5/40 thread. A not so common size.

bobw
            Participant

US Member

Mumbles – you are so right regarding having all of these taps and dies. I recently had to go pick up a 4-40 to clean up one of the carb butterfly screw holes when I rebuilt my RD-18 carb. I needed the 12-28 tap on another rebuild and although I didn’t have one, I was able to borrow one from a neighbor who was a machinist. Always good practice to clean up threads during the rebuild process.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
              1954 Johnson CD-11
              1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
              1958 Johnson QD-19
              1958 Johnson FD-12
              1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
              "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

amuller
              Participant

Thanks! Suggestions on a good source to order from?

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Great advice, will have to find the 12-28 and 1/4-40 ones for sure…

Geer Pyron
                  Participant

Living in a small town I have a problem finding certain tools. Tried to going to the local machine shop, but they just grunted at me.
                    I mostly have to order them from the innerweb.
                    My go to is Mcmaster-Carr.
                    They have everything we need.
                    If you don’t mind shopping online.
                    g

JMGP

Mumbles
                    Participant

I’m in Victoria and no one here could supply me with them so I had to mail order them from a tool supply house in Vancouver. !/4 – 20 left hand thread for an ongoing project are next.

Thomas Otto
                      Participant

Fortunately my wife’s grandfather was a Singer Sewing Machine repair man (person for CA) and she (I) has inherited his machinists tool box that has a wide variety of taps and dies. I also have my great grandfathers machinist tool box. Tom Weatherston worked in the machine shop for Pierce Arrow in Buffalo, NY. Oh, the things these two gentlemen must have known and seen…

I will need to go through both boxes and “liberate” the tools that are most commonly used for my small collection of antique outboard engines.

Thank you for the list Mumbles!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.