Help getting my 67 Evinrude 3hp started

Home Forum Ask A Member Help getting my 67 Evinrude 3hp started

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 85 total)

• Elecmuso

Replies: 38
    Topics: 1

Hi
    I’ve inherited an old 1967 Evinrude 3hp motor. FOr the last 20 years it has been lying in its side. Before that it was running fine.
    This motor is the same model:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-GoPfm3_JY&t=62s
    Can anyone offer some advice getting it started again?
    Both spark plugs are generating sparks.
    I’m currently using ordinary 2 stoke mower fuel which is 50:1. This should be 25:1 I believe but that shouldn’t stop it from starting I assume.
    Have no manual so not aware of the correct startup procedure.
    Fuel line to the carby is getting fuel but for some reason only half the fuel lline is full of fuel (the carby end). There is plenty of petrol in the tank.
    Any hep much appreciated!

The Boat House

Replies: 4549
    Topics: 111

Elecmuso

That could be it! Thanks!

Elecmuso

Here’s what I have just fished out of the gas tank.

Filter

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Elecmuso.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Mumbles.

Elecmuso

So that means there are bits of that filter and no 15 in your diagram still in there. Is the tank easy to remove or clean out?

The Boat House

Elecmuso

Thanks Tubs.

I’ve removed the outlet tap from the tank and it is not clear to me how the filter mounts onto the input of the fuel outlet tap (item 15 in your diagram).

If you have a close look at that photo of the filter I provided you will notice that there is no flange on it – it would appear to have broken off. Perhaps bits of that have gotten into the carby?

Ii suppose or the moment I could continue without a fuel filter.

The Boat House

Elecmuso

Found this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTL7S8ePEEk

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

The guy in the Johnson video totally missed the filter. When he unscrewed the adapter fitting from the tank (with difficulty), the filter was still in the tank. Normally, the filter is soldered to the adapter fitting. On the Johnson video, the filter is stuck in the tank outlet and he tore the solder joint loose as he removed the adapter fitting. On your Evinrude, the filter has come loose from the adapter fitting and was laying loose in the tank, and you fished it out.

Either way, those filters were never intended to be cleaned. You were supposed to replace it, filter and adapter, as a single piece. Yeah, yeah, I know, some people claim they can be cleaned. Whatever. I’m just saying how it is supposed to be.

Your Evinrude probably has crap in the carburetor, keeping it from starting. The fuel has to pass through the main metering jet (orifice plug), which is only about 0.030 inch diameter. Such a small hole is easy to plug up with goop or particles.

What I’m saying is you need to do a complete fuel system cleaning, tank to carb. And put it back together with a good filter

And while you have the tank off is a good time to check the coils. It would be very common to find them cracked.. You are wasting your time until they are replaced, if they are cracked.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.