Help getting my 67 Evinrude 3hp started

Home Forum Ask A Member Help getting my 67 Evinrude 3hp started

Currently, there are 0 users and 2 guests visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 85 total)
    crosbyman

Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1610
    Topics: 196

put a piece of Tye wrap on the top plug wire so you won’t mix them up ! the old wires had a tag crimped over the top wire showing “TOP”

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

lindy46
    lindy46

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 338
    Topics: 24

Get a genuine OMC/BRP carb kit with float. You probably just need a new gasket on the gas cap. Once you run it awhile at faster speeds, the smoking won’t be so bad.

Elecmuso

Replies: 38
    Topics: 1

Next challenge will e the cooling system. Gather this is where the water should be exiting? It isn’t!

Impeller looked good.

Water_outlet

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by AvatarElecmuso.
    Attachments:
    crosbyman

Canada Member - 1 Year

looks isn’t a reliable test …. change the impeller !

Elecmuso

I’ve been looking at a ot of youtube videos and none of them show much on the way of water coming out of those holes. Perhaps it is ‘normal’ and I should look for even a small flow (I’ll only run it for a minima time). Is there a way to tell if the engine is staying cool without actually observing a particular rate of water exiting the exhaust? Are these typical of ‘normal flow’?

lindy46
    lindy46

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 338
    Topics: 24

You won’t see a lot of water coming out – only a “mist” or “weeping”. Those little engines run a little on the hot side. You can check the block while running. Splash a little water on it. It shouldn’t boil off. Temp should be 145-160 degrees. I agree, always put in a new impeller on a new-to-you motor.

frankr
    frankr

Replies: 5234
    Topics: 48

You will see only droplets of water which just happen to blow out by the exhaust. The flat plate on the side of the powerhead gets blazingly hot. There is fire on the other side of that plate. They also get pretty hot right around the spark plugs, but further out should be cooler.

Congrats on getting that folding Lightwin.

Elecmuso

Thanks for the help. Yes I will put in new impeller but I don’t have iit yet.

Are the folding lightwins particularly desirable at least from a collector’s point of view?

frankr
    frankr

A matter of personal interest, I suppose. Non-folders are plentiful. Not so many folders. Un-broken cases are hard to find.

Elecmuso

So I had another look and that 2nd video above is pretty much exactly what I get – so I guess it is in fact running normally.
    I have one of these at work so I’ll take some measurements.
    Non-Contact Thermometer with Dual Laser Targeting – QM7221
    I have a feeling those temperatures are going to be scarily high though – you are right that flat plate on the side of the powerhead gets real hot.

Elecmuso

Exhaust

plugs_side

Attachments:
    Elecmuso

Here’s what I measured:
    1 and 2: 230 F (at one stage I was getting 300 F!)
    3 and 4: 170 F
    5 and 6: 170 F

frankr
    frankr

I never had one of those thermometers, in fact they probably hadn’t even been invented yet when I was doing this for a living, So I can’t comment too much on your readings. But I will say that the only ones I find surprising are 5 & 6. On the other hand, you are running in a can at unknown speed and time and with air bubbles mixed with the water So I’m not too alarmed — yet. Service the pump and get it on a boat and see what happens. And try not to worry so much.

The motor hasn’t been used in salt water has it? Or has it?

Elecmuso

I was given the motor by my father in law 20 years ago and it has been in storage since then, prior to that don’t know what use it had though I suspect it was freshwater use. Are they not compatible with saltwater usage? Or is it just not advisable on an old vintage.ouyboard like this one?

crosbyman

Canada Member - 1 Year

salt is only useful for potato chips, salad and steaks ….and melting ice

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.