Help in the Philadelphia Area with a 1957 FD-11

Home Forum Ask A Member Help in the Philadelphia Area with a 1957 FD-11

This topic contains 24 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar ErikL 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Mumbles
    Mumbles
    Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4152
    Topics: 421

What you describe is definitely a sign of leaky crank seals. You can confirm a leaky top seal by pouring some TCW oil or fuel mix over it and turning the motor over. Any bubbles showing and you know it’s leaking. If the top one is gone, there’s a good chance the bottom one is to so both of them should be replaced at the same time.

fleetwin
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2696
    Topics: 32

You are so right, and I am so blind…..The air bubbles looked like metal shavings to me….Duh…..Sorry

ErikL

Replies: 9
    Topics: 1

The parts arrive today and the puller tomorrow. I’ll have an idea by the end of the weekend whether this was the culprit. Hopefully this is the end of the gremlins 🤞🏻Thanks again guys for all the suggestions

ErikL

Ok quick update and a question. I got the powerhead off and I’m wondering if this hard o-ring carrier gets grease between it and the bearing or gets a sealing compound around its edge. Does anyone know?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Mumbles Mumbles.
    Attachments:
    David Bartlett
    David Bartlett
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 137
    Topics: 6

No sealing compound needed. Just grease the new O-ring that you put inside. Better to use a “Quad-Ring”

ErikL

Any chance you have a link to the part?

jeff-register
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1100
    Topics: 46

Me too Dave

David Bartlett
    David Bartlett
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 137
    Topics: 6

The part # for the O-ring is 302540, and the part # for the carbon seal is 302538. The Quad-rings are available from many industrial suppliers based on size(McMaster-Carr) but offhand I don’t have the size.

I believe it is this one, but do your own research.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/90025k364

Steve D
    Steve D
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 469
    Topics: 61

For some reason I couldn’t get the links to show correctly but if you search 305098 Quad O-ring on the site, you’ll see a discussion with the link for them at McMaster Carr. You want the 2nd link Buc shows…the Quattro Seals.

ErikL

So new seals are installed on the top and bottom, still won’t start 😕

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.