Home Forum Ask A Member Help Make Johnson Outboards Water Tower a Historical Landmark Petition-Waukegan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    outboardnut
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Let’s start with a bit of history-
      The Johnson Brothers of South Bend Indiana started making outboard motors in 1922. After a few years the Johnson Brothers out grew their facilities and in 1926 built a manufacturing plant and water tower in Waukegan Illinois. In 1929 the stock market crashed and the Johnson Motor Company declared bankruptcy in 1932. In 1935 Outboard Marine Corporation purchased the Johnson Outboard Motor Company. Outboard Marine Corporation (OMC) consisted of Evinrude, Elto and Lockwood Outboard Motor companies. Once OMC acquired Johnson OMC made Waukegan Illinois its base of operation. Fast forward to the year 2000 – OMC declared chapter 11. In 2001 Bombardier Recreational Products (a Canadian Company) purchased OMC. In 2007 BRP dropped the Johnson name .BRP used the Waukegan plant until 2013.In 2015 BRP sold the land, plant and water tower to the City of Waukegan. The City of Waukegan demolished all the buildings except for the 93 year old Johnson Outboard Motors Water Tower.
      The water tower now sits on a hundred acres of vacant land.
      Now to present day-
      Every Fall I fish Waukegan harbor for Salmon.
      I watched year after year the demise of the OMC plant. This year is the first year the water tower stands alone. I wondered what was to become of the deteriorating Johnson Water Tower. So I called the City Hall of Waukegan. I got in contact with a very helpful person and here is the short version of what’s going on.
      In one of the 2017 Waukegan city council meetings the subject of making Johnson Water Tower a historical landmark was brought up.
      After some discussion the subject was tabled. So now the water tower sits rusting.
      For 93 years the water tower has stood watching Johnson and Evinrude outboard motors being built. The OMC plant housed engineering, manufacturing, marketing, accounting, training and executive offices. The OMC plant provided hundreds of jobs over decades. At one time the OMC plant had three shifts going twenty four hours a day to keep up with demand. In 1952 the Waukegan plant made its one millionth motor.
      During World War Two the Waukegan facility produced bomb fuses, aircraft engines, and firefighting equipment.
      Johnson and Evinrude outboard motors once dominated over the market of recreational boating. Thousands of people across the United States have had their recreational lives enhanced by taken a ride in a boat powered by a Johnson /Evinrude outboard motor. If the Johnson Outboards water tower is ever taken down there will be no sign that OMC has ever existed there.
      After reading the above. I’m sure you would agree that the Johnson Outboards Water Tower should be made a historical landmark. To show future generations that a great American manufacturing company once stood there.
      The first step on saving the Johnson Water Tower is to have the City of Waukegan make the water tower a historical landmark.
      Thank You for Reading
      Al
      Please sign the petition.

https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/make-johnson-outboards-water-tower-a-historical-landmark-waukegan-illinois.html

Interesting videos (not done by me) click on link or put title in YouTube
      The History of OMC Plant 1 | OMC Waukegan 1926 – 2017
      30 minutes
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IbWu-AMAJo
      OMC Waukegan 2017 | OMC Plant 1 After Demolition
      23 seconds
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpXsZnRf-is
      OMC Waukegan 2016: This is the End – Outboard Marine Corporation
      33 seconds
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1udMcj5SSzQ
      Put the title in Facebook search bar or click on link
      Outboard Marine Corp water tower
      1 minute
      https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=968937983451197

As-the-water-tower-is-today

Picture-of-how-logo-looked

old-picture-of-OMC-plant

• This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by outboardnut.
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by outboardnut. Reason: link did not work
      bobw
      Participant

Al, great story- thanks for posting this. I’ve always hoped the City would save the water tower. I would sign the petition but the petition link doesn’t seem to work.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

outboardnut
        Participant

I don’t get it. The link works everywhere else like facebook
          https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/make-johnson-outboards-water-tower-a-historical-landmark-waukegan-illinois.html
          if the above link does not work
          go to https://www.gopetition.com/
          and search
          Make Johnson Outboards Water Tower a Historical Landmark Waukegan Illinois

Buccaneer
          Participant

Looks like it should be repainted, but with1920’s Logo.

Prepare to be boarded!

bobw
            Participant

Ok got it done now. Thanks again for starting the petition.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
              1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
              1958 Johnson QD-19
              1958 Johnson FD-12
              1959 Johnson QD-20

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for your efforts, found the link and filled it out…. OMC was such a big part of Waukegan for so many years, fixing up a water tower seems like a great tribute that won’t cost too much.

vintin
                Participant

Has anyone looked into the average yearly cost of maintaining a water tower?

I bet it is some pretty big dollars.

bobw
                  Participant

If the tower is not functional I would think the yearly upkeep would be limited to paint touch up and corrosion inspection. Initial restoration of this tower will likely be pricey as there would likely be some structural repairs required. After the restoration I think the biggest challenge will be keeping the gang bangers, thugs and other trouble makers from spray painting their graffiti all over the new work.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                    1958 Johnson QD-19
                    1958 Johnson FD-12
                    1959 Johnson QD-20

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

remove 30 feet on the ladder access and grease the rest of the support legs 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

outboardnut
                      Participant

bump

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.